cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Losing channels

Please can someone explain why but are losing TV channels and not offering the chance to cancel my subscription, only changing to a now TV package which I do not want as I have sky TV with the same channels, many thanks Chris

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Losing channels

If you are on the Classic Entertainment (Entertainment Plus) package, then ALL the premium channels are disappearing by 17th January 2022. The page announcing the loss of channels does say:

"Of course, we’d hate to say goodbye. But if this change means you want to end your TV service, you can do so up to 30 days after 17 January 2022 without paying an early cancellation fee."

Richard

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Many thanks for your reply, I did see that but as the channels are going in stages upto that date it means paying for channels I no longer receive, Chris

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

I today had (or tried to have) a discussion with a BT rep about this situation. I’m on Entertainment plus.

My angst is that to move to another package, not only will I lose channels I enjoy but I am forced to re-contract my broadband for another 24 months. And apparently if I do nothing (or forget to cancel), I will still be charged for ‘Entertainment Plus’ after ALL of the channels go unless I call in to cancel.

On querying this, I was told the charge would be for me to “access and record the Freeview channels on the STB”! She then informed me that if I cancelled I would “have to return the supplied BT YouView box as it was owned by BT”. I stated that as far as I was aware, having been contracted with BT TV since before it was BT Vision, my contract said that I would own the youview  box after 12 months … she went away to check and said that the terms were changed a while back and BT now demanded their boxes back.

This is an utter s&!t show in my view. It appears to be a ruse to get TV customers to be forced to re-contract Broadband and phone for 24 months … I don’t want to do that as there are plans for Virgin to install fibre in our village and I would look to move to their broadband and TV.

The only options given were to move package and re-contract for 24 months or cancel. If I do lose my TV then I have no reason at all to stay with BT for my phone or broadband so it will be a rapid “bye-bye”!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

@trapdoor wrote:

She then informed me that if I cancelled I would “have to return the supplied BT YouView box as it was owned by BT”. I stated that as far as I was aware, having been contracted with BT TV since before it was BT Vision, my contract said that I would own the youview  box after 12 months … she went away to check and said that the terms were changed a while back and BT now demanded their boxes back.

As regards the information about having to return your equipment. The T&Cs did change but if you had the box prior to 13th Dec. 2019 and have NOT re-contracted since that date you are free to keep the box without having to pay for it or return it.

If you have re-contracted you will have to pay or return the equipment because by re-contracting you have agreed to the new T&Cs.

See linkHow to return and recycle your BT equipment for free | BT Help

"We made some changes to our Terms & Conditions on 13 December 2019, meaning that BT Hubs and BT TV boxes are being loaned to you. So if you joined us or have renewed your contract on or after this date, you’ll be charged for not returning equipment to us. You’ll have 60 days to return it from the date you stopped using it before we charge you". 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Hi, just to clarify the above about equipment returns, I have the following question.

I was sent my BT 4K box in March 2018 and paid £49 for it. The last recontract I signed with BT was in January 2020. I haven't received any new equipment since March 2018.

Are you saying that because I recontracted in January 2020, that I no longer have the right to keep the equipment even though I paid for it and was supplied it before the 13 December 2019?

If so this wasn't pointed out at point of sale when I resigned. I was hoping to keep the box after this contract ends as I won't be staying with BT TV (current contract ends this coming January). 

Any answers gratefully received! 

Edit - I've found my original order email from March 2018 and it states all equipment is mine to keep after 12 months. I wouldn't think it would be possible for such a term to be brought in and applied retrospectively.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

The ownership of the BT TV box supplied is determined by the T&Cs  at the time of supply of that box. So prior to the December 2019 T&C changes the normal conditions were that ownership of the BT TV box was with the customer who typically made a partial payment for the BT TV box when starting subscription with a the residual cost being deferred  and this residual cost was written off by BT once the subscriber had completed a year of their contract. (I the customer did not complete a year they would be charged for the residual cost).

BT TV Boxes supplied after December 2019 T&Cs changes were effected  would be on a loan basis.

So in your example your Box supplied in March 2018 is your property.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

@zulu17Many thanks for the clarification, I couldn't work out if I was being a little slow and there does not seem to be any definitive advice on the subject. However, your explanation makes perfect logical sense.

Best regards.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Re: Losing channels - Alibi

I too am on the Essentials package plus BT Sport.  As Alibi Channel will be removed from the package I will most likely be requesting cancellation of my BT Tv.

Question:  In doing so are BT going to renew my Broadband/Phone to a new 24 month contract?  If this is the case can I cancel my Broadband/Phone line at the same time without cost?  

Each time I have changed one item in the package the other items renew to a 24 month contract as well.  I might be happy to keep the broadband and phone provided it does not renew, currently 7 months into a 24 month contract.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Re: Losing channels - Alibi

I'm in exactly the same boat @lemanis  - I'm happy to sign up to a new package, if it doesn't reset the terms of my broadband contract, but there appears to be no way of doing this. 

I'd be surprised if they let you cancel the broadband at the same time, as they are seperate when it suits.

As the patronising BT rep I spoke to earlier, seemed incapable of explaining it clearly, can somebody clarify that, as an Entertainment Plus customer, if I :-

A) Do nothing - I will default to 'New BT TV' with a 24 month term applied to both tv & broadband (unless I cancel before 17th Jan)

B) Sign up to a smaller package - again will default to a 24 month contract

C) Cancel  - lose the ability to record, may have to return my 2 settop boxes, but likelyhood is that I'll still be tied to my broadband contract for another18 months.   

0 Ratings