cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

2nd fibre line .

Go to solution

Hi all  I'm looking for some information  . I'm converting   my garage  into a granny  flat   and I'm looking  to find out     if I can  run a second  fiber  line for broadband  .   I'm  a  cctv engineer  so I know  somethings  on fiber.  

I would  have thought  that  all I need to do is  order an ont change for a 4 port 

and run a separate  cat 6 to the granny  flat location?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: 2nd fibre line .

Go to solution

@Cableguy81 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Why not simply extend the existing broadband connection to the granny flat using an Ethernet cable, there should be plenty of bandwidth available.

You cannot order a four port ONT

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I do know  that  !  I'm asking  the question    if  I want  a second  line  1 is it complete new fibre  or just  an ont change  out to say a 4 port which  will  be placed  through  my provider obviously 

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@Cableguy81 

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Sky

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@Cableguy81 

Then you need to post on the Sky User Forum.

Sky Help Forum - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum 

This is the BT Retail Customer Forum.

Its Openreach that provide the external fibre network, it has nothing to do with BT Retail.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I do  know  that boss I ain't thick   sky talk talk all use bt equipment   just different  servers  in the exchange.  . All I'm asking  is the hardware  it's all the same .  **Edited**

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

It has nothing to do with BT Retail, who are just an ISP like Sky, they have nothing to do with the fibre terminations in the exchange, that is down to Openreach, and the division of BT who deal with the core network. It used to be BT Wholesale, but it may have changed its name now.

Current info https://www.bt.com/about/bt/our-company/group-businesses

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Is your granny flat going to be a ‘proper’ address in its own right , so liable for its own council tax , its own official address with Royal Mail etc, ?.
Assuming it’s not a separate address, If you want a second FTTP service , the correct process would be for the ISP  you use for that service  as part of the ‘order’ , to arrange for a multi port ONT from Openreach to be supplied, you may find this less than straightforward, but that would be a problem for you and the ISP you chose , the ordering system is common to all ISPs , some are better than others when knowing how to use these systems, some ISPs only show their staff the basics , as that’s all they intend to supply.

The Openreach physical installation then becomes mainly a change of ONT , the configuration work etc done by the ISP and OR remotely and in part in advance of the visit , but no extra cables from the CBT or CSP are required, both services are on the same ‘fibre’ , the first service on port one , which would require the existing service to be reassigned to the new ONT port one , the new service on port two , so both routers would be as close to the existing ONT position as the length of the Ethernet cable supplied by the ISP with their router , any extra power outlet needed would be your problem, as the new router obviously needs a power supply as well as the ONT and original first service router.

If you wanted the router of the second service inside the granny flat , you would need to provide the means to do that yourself, either a long Ethernet cable or Ethernet cabling and sockets , the ‘connection’ between the ONT and router isn’t optical.

There  is some suggestion that a second order would be a new connection from the CBT , possibly a new CSP and an optical cable ran from the CSP ( existing or new ) to a new ONT location and a second single port ONT fitted , pretty much where you would like the service to be , but the way the OR network is dimensioned ( one CBT port per dwelling ) an order for a second service shouldn’t be progressed that way ( one reason why your chosen ISP may struggle to raise an order without mistakenly simply taking over the existing service )