cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

INSTALLING NEW INTERNET/TV QUERIES

Go to solution

Full fibre broadband via Openreach is now available for my property. I am currently with Virgin but am considering switching to Sky. I live in a three storey mid-terraced townhouse.

My concern about switching user is that  BT connects to the house overhead via a pole at the rear of the property and currently hits the rear wall at first floor level entering the house in a rear bedroom. A second line hits the property at the same place and runs down the wall to the ground floor entering at the back into the dining room. Neither of these phone lines have been "live" for years as our current landline is provided by Virgin. I have a feeling that the BT line on the ground floor was severed internally during home improvements as we did not think we would need it again.

The TV (and so any associated tv box) is situated in the living room at the front of the property on the ground floor.

We are after uninterrupted TV coverage with no buffering issues. Similarly "Smart" TV facilities that work speedily and smoothly. We also require fast internet usage across all three floors - particularly as my wife works at home for one of the world's top book publishers.

So that’s the background.

My query relates particularly to how Sky TV now operates. I understand that its packages largely rely on the internet rather than a dish and that in any event use of dishes is to be faded out completely in the not too distant. Following on from that am I right in my understanding that for Sky the router should ideally be situated close to the Sky box and perhaps even more ideally linked by ethernet? If that is the case I am struggling with how I will be able to arrive at that scenario tidily without a great deal of upheaval and/or visible ethernet cabling running between floors in the house.

Am I missing something? Am I misunderstanding the situation? Any help would be appreciated.

Ideally it would be good if I could have somebody who knows what they are talking about come round to look at the situation in person. Expertise I am prepared to pay for. Are there any folk that offer this service out there? I am very nervous about putting an order in with Sky and relying on any degree of help from their engineer. I have not seen any evidence that they offer a pre-visit service and that as a rule when installing they install the ONT and router with a relatively short length of ethernet and then leave the customer to try and sort out site specific issues thereafter.

As I say I will be very grateful for any help/advice anybody out there can offer.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: INSTALLING NEW INTERNET/TV QUERIES

Go to solution

@Reno1 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This has nothing to do with BT Retail, as its Openreach that provide the connection.

If you are not intending to place an order with BT Retail, and are going to use Sky instead, then you need to post on the Sky User Forum to get advice from other Sky users, as to the location of the Sky equipment and how to connect it.

https://helpforum.sky.com/

Thanks