cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

New Build Fibre Connection

Go to solution

Can anyone advise how to get in touch with open reach to discuss how to get a new connection  for our new build? We are currently doing first fix and want to ensure all the cabling is in place so it can be hidden.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: New Build Fibre Connection

Go to solution

@ShaunCambo wrote:

Can anyone advise how to get in touch with open reach to discuss how to get a new connection  for our new build? We are currently doing first fix and want to ensure all the cabling is in place so it can be hidden.

@ShaunCambo 

https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/fibre-for-developers/registering-your-sit...

You need to register your site.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Great thankyou.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

I have just been on the site and I’m not clear if I need to contact a provider to arrange a FTTP and FTTC or fill out the BT open reach form. We are building our own house so we will be the ones wanting the connection as we will be living there.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

@ShaunCambo wrote:

I have just been on the site and I’m not clear if I need to contact a provider to arrange a FTTP and FTTC or fill out the BT open reach form. We are building our own house so we will be the ones wanting the connection as we will be living there.

Its Openreach you will need to contact if you want then to provide the infrastructure. Its up to you which provider you choose once the infrastructure is in place. If you do not intend to use Openreach, and there is an alternative fibre infrastructure provider, then you would have to contact them, but bear in mind you would be tied to them forever.

You will probably have to pay for a site survey, and you will then be given more advice.

Unless you arrange the infrastructure now, it could cost you a lot of money later.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Ok that makes sense. Any idea of the cost for a single dwelling?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@ShaunCambo wrote:

Ok that makes sense. Any idea of the cost for a single dwelling?

Sorry, no idea, I am just a BT Retail customer, as this is a BT Retail customer forum.

Openreach should be able to give you an estimate, once they do the survey.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Depends on what needs doing.

For example if it needs a Telephone Pole(s) then they cost about £400 each give or take.

If Dig and Duct work is needed that works out at about £120 per metre.

Any work within the boundary of your property can be done by you/your builder which should bring down costs.

Any work done on public land that requires anything connecting to the Openreach Network would need to be done by someone who has all the Necessary Openreach Accreditation’s and Correct and Valid Cards like Street Works, etc.

To be honest though there’s to many scenarios so you’re best off paying for a Survey, I think they’re about £500 and they’ll cost everything up for you. If you go ahead with Openreaches works then I believe the £500 Survey Fee is taken off the final amount.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

So I am still waiting for BT Openreach to contact me about a survey. I have established that the connection to my new house will be FTTC and I guess they will tell me where they intend to run the cable to my house when the survey is done. This is fine because we are in no rush to complete the groundworks, the issue is getting the cabling right inside the house as we are currently underway with first fix. Does the copper cable finish at the entry point the house? We are planning on having the entry point in the downstairs utility room and then having the master router upstairs. Can we just run CAT6 from the entry box to the router or do we need some other cabling for it?

0 Ratings