cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Service providers offering OpenReach FTTP other than BT

Go to solution

Hi all, I've looked and other than finding independents that are not operating in my area, I can't find anything.

OpenReach FTTP via BT does exist here, does anyone know if OpenReach generally unbundle/offer their FTTP service to partner companies at the moment, Sept 2021 ?

Thanks, Joe

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Service providers offering OpenReach FTTP other than BT

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@fibre-hobo wrote:

OpenReach FTTP via BT does exist here, does anyone know if OpenReach generally unbundle/offer their FTTP service to partner companies at the moment, Sept 2021 ?

Openreach FTTP is available to any company that wishes to use it. Unfortunately, many choose not to.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Not sure you understand the way the regulator mandates the way this industry operates, Openreach is a wholesaler , it doesn’t have a retail division, it’s entire ‘business’ is building network and offering equal access to it to any retailer that wants to use it , who then offer services to consumers , BT is one of many companies that use OR ( in fact BT is the only company that if it wanted to build a competing network to OR,would not be allowed to do so ) every other service provider could do that and many do, in that they use OR in some places and have their own network in other places .
So , if OR FTTP doesn’t exist where you are , in what way can they then ‘offer’ FTTP services to ‘partner’ company’s in your area ?, it’s a bit nonsensical.
If your area is served by OR ( at some point in the future ) then you get to chose one of the many providers that use OR, if an alternative network provider serves your area , you can use them ( almost certainly tied to that company with little or no choice ) …that’s it
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@Carlushawrote:

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker 

Thanks, I'd not found this way of checking but it confirms what I've found. Not happening here at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@iniltouswrote:
Not sure you understand the way the regulator mandates the way this industry operates, Openreach is a wholesaler , it doesn’t have a retail division, it’s entire ‘business’ is building network and offering equal access to it to any retailer that wants to use it , who then offer services to consumers , BT is one of many companies that use OR ( in fact BT is the only company that if it wanted to build a competing network to OR,would not be allowed to do so ) every other service provider could do that and many do, in that they use OR in some places and have their own network in other places .
So , if OR FTTP doesn’t exist where you are , in what way can they then ‘offer’ FTTP services to ‘partner’ company’s in your area ?, it’s a bit nonsensical.
If your area is served by OR ( at some point in the future ) then you get to chose one of the many providers that use OR, if an alternative network provider serves your area , you can use them ( almost certainly tied to that company with little or no choice ) …that’s it

lol a wrong assumption so presumably you didn't read the question that was asked and you were condescending at the same time 😆

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

There are quite a number of ISP’s that sell FTTP on the Openreach Network.

Some are specific to certain geographical areas.

Some may also sell it in some areas but not others due to capacity on their Backhaul Network so you may find your mate on Exchange A can have it from a particular ISP but you on Exchange B a few miles down the road can’t at time minute with that same ISP. 

Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

If Openreach FTTP is available but you don’t want to use BT, and you want information regarding BT competitors, asking on a BT forum is odd, if others ISP’s you may want to use don’t offer service , even though OR FTTP is available ,given they could do so if they wanted ,  I would suggest you ask them why they don’t.

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Answering my own original question, this is the best answer:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@fibre-hobo  which was answered for you by @Starwire  @iniltous  & @licquorice  in the first place.

0 Ratings