cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

incorrect postcode/address attached to my landline

Go to solution

I have been in a battel now for two weeks with my former provider Talk Talk who opened my line on 31.01.2016 and to date it appears that Openreach have incorrect details about my postcode and address which is preventing me from moving my provider.

I have repeatedly asked Talk Talk to email Openreach to ask the to amend their records, but have refused now saying that it is a GDPR issue even though I have given them permission to do so. I just want this resolved!

Is there anything I can do to get Open reach to correct their records to show the correct details?

kind regards

Maggie

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: incorrect postcode/address attached to my landline

Go to solution

@Maggiegrif1956fin 

Unfortunately only your current provider can request that the Openreach database is updated. They do this by submitting an ORDI request to Openreach. It sounds like Talk Talk are being awkward.

If you cease your service with your current provider, then you can ask your new provider to get the database updated. This is quite straightforward.

If you decide to move to BT Retail, then this forum may be able to give you more help if you have problems.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

thank you for your response, awkward is not the word I would use! It is far too polite! I have spent the best part of 3 1/2 hours on the phone with them and the new thing is now that I am no longer their customer they don't have to do anything! But I was their customer when this started! But have not dealt wit the issue and I am left with no phone, no internet and at a loss as to what to do! But in your response I think you say I can just get my new provider to make that request and it should right itself! Well I hope that is what you mean! I will give it a go! will let you know how it goes!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Maggiegrif1956fin, welcome to the forum and the advice given by @Keith_Beddoe  is correct. 

Your current provider should have a process in place to get your records updated. Maybe if they have a forum try posting there. If you place an order with a new provider they won't detect that you have a working service as the address is wrong and it would slow down the time taken to get you connected. So I would recommend trying your provider one more time to get this corrected.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Do you mean Talk Talk my 'previous provider' or my new provider? Because the new provider was simply waiting for Talk Talk to request amendment of details to Openreach? I have just come off a four hour conversation with Talk Talk to try to get this resolved! So do I now just go to my new provider and ask then to request that the details be corrected as they know they are aware that Open reach have incorrect details?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

How can I find out what postcode/address is held on the Openreach records? Is that possible?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Maggiegrif1956fin, it is the provider with who your line is currently active that needs to deal with the address correction. 

Not sure how you will be able to see what your actual address is on Openreach's records.

thanks

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
ok thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Have a read at this link from Offcom.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-protections-stamp-out-switching-fr...

I suggest you raise a complain via the form on that page, and use the advice given on that page. For convenience I am copying it here:

----------------------------------------------------------------

New protections to stamp out landline switching frustrations

08 July 2019

You will have more power over your landline provider if it tries to stop you taking your phone number when you switch, thanks to a new process in effect from today.

People and businesses have the right to keep their telephone numbers, regardless of which phone company they are with.

Under Ofcom rules, phone companies must allow customers to take their telephone number with them to a new provider when they switch. This is known as ‘number porting’.

However, there have been times when providers made it difficult for customers – particularly small businesses – to keep their phone numbers when switching.

We have previously fined firms that have blocked customers from taking their numbers to a new provider, and forced them to pay compensation. Last year we told the telecoms industry to develop a process to override attempts to prevent customers from taking their number with them.

That new process is now in place.

How the process works

From today, if your request to port your number is being frustrated, your old provider will be put on notice and have up to five days to resolve any issues. If this doesn’t happen, you can now trigger a process that will enable your new provider to override this obstacle.

First, you need to submit a complaint on Ofcom’s website. This will generate a reference number, which you then need to give to your new provider.

An independent industry panel – which includes the Office of the Telecoms Adjudicator – will then assess your case. Subject to your case satisfying certain criteria, this panel can authorise your new provider to override the issue and expedite the porting of your number.

Protecting customers

Ofcom’s number porting rules protect people from the inconvenience and cost of having to change their phone number.

It is particularly important for businesses, who would face significant costs and other issues if they had to change their phone number, such as needing to change their marketing materials, or potentially losing business from customers who try to call their old number.

The rules also make it easier for people to switch. If a customer experiences problems when trying to port their number, this might put them off switching provider in future.

0 Ratings