cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital Phone connectivity to Hub

Go to solution

I have been moved over to Digital voice and have received a Digital handset. I need it one part of the house which is furthest from the Hub. However although it is next to a WiFi disc which shows as having good wifi connection to the Hub, the phone reception is poor. Anyone else found this problem, what is the solution ?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital Phone connectivity to Hub

Go to solution

@crusoe80 

The phones do not use wifi, they use DECT. The DECT base station is in the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Keith, thanks for the confirmation, that is exactly what I thought (that the handset is a different radio frequency to Wifi) but I have been on 2 technical support calls with BT who have stated that it uses Wi-Fi. If it uses DECT how do I extend the range of the Digital handset connectivity to the Hub or do I have to stay with an analogue phone cable extension and use a digital voice adapter ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@crusoe80 

Probably the digital voice adapter may be the only solution, as I am not aware of a DECT repeater that works with the home hub. You can of course plug an existing system into the adapter.

I am surprised you have a problem, because the range of DECT is much further than wifi.

You may get suggestions from other forum members, as I have a copper landline (ADSL broadband).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

you cannot extend the range of dect from the hub but it should cover better area than wifi.  you could move the hub to another location

the adapter is like a powerline adapter which plugs into mains and connects back to hub providing a phone outlet for any of your existing phones

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks all. I live in an old cottage and already have 3 Wi-Fi discs to overcome the issue of thick walls limiting the wifi signal from the hub (and have another WAP to install for better coverage) so its the same issue I guess with DECT radio coverage. I think I will have to go the route of using the adapter for an analogue phone. I just find it disappointing that its the community who understand the issue, whereas BT Technical Support seem completely unaware and pass out incorrect information.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

you could also try the solutions posted here and use your existing phone setup

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-voice-phones-only-work-near-your-hu...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly, a really helpful post I hadn't found but tells me I am not alone, now to fix the problem which BT have initiated.

0 Ratings