cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Account repeatedly hacked

Someone keeps managing to change my BT account password to access my email.

I have 2 factor authentication on and I am obviously not giving away any codes from that, yet someone has been able to do so, and whilst in my email, has managed to send me an email from my own account demanding I give them codes to be able to access my Xbox Account.

I have repeatedly changed my passwords, however the individual(s) are still able to get in.

I see no option anywhere to check devices that are logged in and to boot them out, nor any ways to contact BT to let them know my account is compromised as it is outside of normal telephone hours.

What am I supposed to do to protect my BT account at this stage?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Account repeatedly hacked

Unless this were someone with access to the BT servers, they must have either access to one of your backup email accounts, or to text messages sent to your mobile (via the Link To Windows app on Android or similar).

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I've made some checks.

There's no evidence to suggest that the backup email address has been compromised - however I have taken the normal steps as a precaution (Updated passwords, checked devices, checked for changes, etc)

And my phone messages aren't set up to be accessed to any other device.

What I did manage to do was to take the sender IP address from the email they sent demanding I give the security codes for the Xbox account they couldn't get into and trace the approximate location to an office just outside of Liverpool city centre (quite a distance from where I am) - although they could be masking their IP so the information is probably next to useless. 

Message 4 of 5

Hopefully one of the Mods with a direct link to BT will be able to look at this because right now it sounds like a compromised server.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 5 of 5

How are you getting back into your email account if the password is being changed. What process are you following?

As regards contacting BT you call BT 0330.1234.150 and they should be able to advise you what to do.

Have a look at the following link and sub links.

How can I tell if my email account is no longer secure? | BT Help

You also need to log onto your MyBT and change your security answers.

0 Ratings