cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Emails disappeared

Go to solution

In the last month all emails that are in deleted folders have disappeared - emails that were deleted but were not in a folder are in tact. 

For years (10+), I have been archiving the previous years emails (such as a folder called 'Purchases 2022') and then recovering the files when they are needed. 

The deleted folder structure remains in my Trash folder, just that all are empty.

Can these deleted files be recovered - the contain everything from legal documents, house deeds, to parents wills etc!?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Emails disappeared

Go to solution

When you log onto your email account and check for the emails if the items are not in the deleted folder or any other folder then they have been deleted from the BT server and can not be recovered.

For information it was mooted that the BTMail Trash folder was to be emptied automatically on a 30 day rolling program however I believe that that function was not implement but I could be wrong. 

It is a bit late now but why would you set up a storage/archive system for your emails within the Trash folder. The whole purpose of the Trash folder is for emails that are deleted and are no longer wanted.  

If you which to have an archive folder you should have set the up in the "My Folders" section of your email "My Account".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi,

Can you confirm please:

1. when a BT email is deleted is that a hard or soft delete

2. when a BT email is deleted, why are emails that are not in folders soft deleted and those within folders hard deleted

3. what is the purpose of having a deleted (trash) folder if the assumption is that they wont be recovered or wanted at a later date.

I have been using BT mail since around 1998 and always been able to recover files from the trash folder.

Also, I have worked in IT for 20 years and with most IT providers and know with 100% certainty that Trash folders are used as soft deletions - everyone in the sector knows this. You will also know that these files are recoverable - even a backstreet IT company that uses a desktop computer as a server would be able to. If you cant recover them, its more to do with policy, being bothered, or setting a president - either way, the fault is with BT and should be rectified by them.

Not impressed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Do you expect to recover items you have put in your dustbin, or do you expect the council to empty it regularly.

I can't believe that somebody that has 'worked in IT for 20 years' would use a trash folder as storage!!

If you wish to keep items, don't delete them, the clue is in the name.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@pauledmonds wrote:

Hi,

Can you confirm please: I will give my reply but this is as a BT customer, the same as the other members of this BT Customer to Customer forum,  as I do not nor have I ever worked for BT.

1. when a BT email is deleted is that a hard or soft delete  That depends on how you define a hard or soft delete. It stays in the Trash folder until such times as the Trash folder is emptied.

2. when a BT email is deleted, why are emails that are not in folders soft deleted and those within folders hard deleted. Again I have no idea what you mean by a hard and soft delete. When a folder is placed into the Trash folder it and its contents will be deleted when the Trash folder is emptied. 

3. what is the purpose of having a deleted (trash) folder if the assumption is that they wont be recovered or wanted at a later date. What is the point of having a Trash folder if the assumption is that you are going to recover or want them at a later date. Don't delete them if that is the case. Place them in a "pending" folder until such times as you have made up your mind!  

I have been using BT mail since around 1998 and always been able to recover files from the trash folder. Yes and you can do that with BTMail until such times as the Trash folder is emptied.

Also, I have worked in IT for 20 years and with most IT providers and know with 100% certainty that Trash folders are used as soft deletions - everyone in the sector knows this. Have you canvassed them all or is that an assumption you have made? You will also know that these files are recoverable and as I have already stated, so are BTMail files in the Trash folder until the Trash folder is emptied - even a backstreet IT company that uses a desktop computer as a server would be able to. If you cant recover them, its more to do with policy, being bothered, or setting a president - either way, the fault is with BT and should be rectified by them. I suspect it is BT policy that once the Trash folder is emptied, its contents are not recoverable. That is probably based in the same way that if you place something in the Trash folder, just as with your household trash bin and it is then emptied it means you no longer want it so why would the ISP or in the case of household trash bin the council store it for you in case you want it later.

Not impressed.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Surely you will have backed them up in any case as part of your backup regime if they are that important.