Message 11 of 28

Re: Winmail.dat issues with btinternet.com

The problem lies with the sender.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 28

@licquorice wrote:

The problem lies with the sender.

I would agree but the OP stated he was receiving the attachments on his iPhone without any problems which would tend to indicate that they are being sent out correctly.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 28

I can also receive them if they are sent to a different email address using the same outlook 365 programme on my laptop, but yes you are correct, if they come to my iPhone they are readable.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 28

Everything is a bit vague at the moment can you clarify the following.

Are the problem attachments being sent from just  a small number of senders or from everyone sending?

What file format are the attachments, are they .PDF for example?

Are attachments of the same format received ok from other users?

What mail application is the sender using to send the problematic attachments?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 28

Everything is a bit vague at the moment can you clarify the following.

Are the problem attachments being sent from just  a small number of senders or from everyone sending?

Anyone within that organisation (I'm assuming going through the same server)

What file format are the attachments, are they .PDF for example?

Word, pdf, meeting invitations, PPT

Are attachments of the same format received ok from other users?

Yes

What mail application is the sender using to send the problematic attachments?

MS Outlook, however it is all of the senders from the two organisations, not an individual Outlook account.  I checked with two of them, and they say that "message format" is set to "when sending messages in rich text format to internet recipients convert to HTML format"

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 28

It would appear to be a combination of the sender using a non standard method of attaching the files and btinternet email not handling it gracefully somehow, which seems totally weird as you are using a third party client to receive the mail rather than BT webmail.

Can you definitely confirm if the emails are sent to a Gmail address (say) and collected by the same client your end, they are received ok?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 28

Scratch that, it has to be Outlook 365 your end not handling it correctly as your iPhone app is ok.

As an experiment, can you try a different mail client to Outlook 365 temporarily. Thunderbird or EmClient for example.

Message 18 of 28

Can you definitely confirm if the emails are sent to a Gmail address (say) and collected by the same client your end, they are received ok?
Yes, although I can't say it for Gmail as I don't use it. However if sent to one of my other email addresses which are frequently MSExchange, they always come across as expected.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 28

As an experiment, can you try a different mail client to Outlook 365 temporarily. Thunderbird or EmClient for example.

I'll try this tomorrow, thank you for your help. I have to attend a family event now

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 28

@licquorice wrote:

Scratch that, it has to be Outlook 365 your end not handling it correctly as your iPhone app is ok.

See messages 6 & 7 where he took Outlook 365 out of the equation and only used BTMail webmail to receive the attachment.

0 Ratings