cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

Elderly over 90 years old

Go to solution

First of all everywhere on BT it is hopeless finding out where to find help for elderly people.

In=laws are over 90 years old and have no idea what to do about the upcoming phone switch.  I have looked around and can see that if BT know a customer is over 70 then the phone will not be switched.   BUT nothing anywhere in the various help topics, who to ring etc tells you who to call to inform BT about the issue...   standard helpline has nothing in the selection of where to go by pressing various 1,2,3 etc.... What number do you ring and what selection do you make to get to the correct person that can do something?

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: Elderly over 90 years old

Go to solution

@brian_thorogoodwrote:

standard helpline has nothing in the selection of where to go by pressing various 1,2,3 etc...

Oh, tell me about it! I am deaf. almost 80, so the press 1, 2 or 3 lark is as much use to me as a chocolate teapot! Oh, I do like chocolate though.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

You can register here. https://www.bt.com/help/here-for-you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

The phone WILL be switched to Digital Voice at some point, it may be later rather than sooner but it will be switched.

Do they have broadband as well as phone?

Message 5 of 32

Go to solution
Yes but there are issues regarding where phones are in the house and there is no option for 1 being near the broadband box
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

When converted to DV , if the consumer had various wired extensions/ phones they want to keep ‘live’ , that’s possible but needs a wiring rearrangement so the sockets are in effect ran from the phone port on the router ( called voice re injection )  neither BT nor Openreach are responsible for those sockets currently and after the change to DV are not responsible for reconnecting them to the hub , it’s not a particularly difficult thing to do most DIYers should be able to do this , or employ a tradesperson to do it .

BT , in certain circumstances,  provide one or more DV adapters that convert an ordinary wired phone into a DECT phone , that can connect to the routers built in DECT base station, so in most cases the extension wiring isn’t needed anyway, the extension phones simply connect in a different way rather than into an extension socket , into the DV adapter which connect via DECT .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

It is not difficult to utilise the existing wiring to provide phone capability. I appreciate it may not be possible for them to do it themselves but it isn't rocket science.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution
Just wish someone would answer the question
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution
Wish I could do a thumbs down.... Just wish someone would answer the question
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

The question has been answered, it's going to happen. There are multiple solutions as have been posted. Despite what you may think, it isn't the end of the world.

0 Ratings