cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15

Re: ADSL BROADBAND CONNECTION PROBLEMS

I think you've eliminated everything bar an intermittent line fault.

• You've changed the Hub
  • You've changed the filter & ADSL cable
  • You're in the test socket eliminating internal wiring
  • You're testing over ethernet eliminating local WiFi issues

That only really leaves the line itself. I can only suggest that next time the speed drops dramatically that you repeat the quiet line test immediately. If that's noisy go to MyBT & raise a PHONE issue. If it's still silent then try to log an issue with the broadband online. Go to:

MyBT  > Help > Broadband > Fix a Problem > Broadband & WiFi

There you will find an option to test the broadband. Hopefully that will show the issue & get you an Openreach appointment.

Message 2 of 15

@judymeg 

These connection results look far better and nearer your actual connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

@rbz5416  I connected the new hub as soon as I got it and the engineer did all the tests on the new hub.  I have returned the old one already. ALL of the tests I have done have been done with my laptop on a wired connection.

@imjolly I had a video conversation on Facebook last night with a friend and the connection was very very good.  Not perfect but a lot better!  This afternoon however I tried to watch iplayer and it just wouldn't connect long enough to watch it and I had to connect to my neighbour's wifi! 

The first photo is of the speedtest WITHOUT the phone as requested above.  The second is WITH the phone.  Both done on my laptop with an ethernet connection.  Both were done around 17.30 today.  Much better aren't they!

MINUS PHONEMINUS PHONEPLUS PHONEPLUS PHONE  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Has the new Hub been installed? It's unclear if it was changed or if the "engineer" just waffled. If it wasn't changed & you still have it then try swapping it out. Swap out the AC adapter as well.

Does your laptop have an ethernet port so that you can connect it directly to the Hub rather than by WiFi to test?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

the hub stats confirm that your connection speed is 21mb better than dslchecker expected speed.  is it possible to just connect the rj11 cable from filter to hub and disconnected the phone connection to filter so only connection is - test socket/filter/rj11/hub/ethernet cable/pc and then run btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@rbz5416  sorry about the confusion over the filters.  I have tried 2 new microfilters in the test socket and 2 new RJ11 cables with little difference.

@iniltous  it was a BT Home Expert that called here last Monday and didn't really find anything wrong.  I did the quiet line test on my landline and it was completely silent.

I managed to get into the hub with my laptop and have taken some photos!  I don't know if these help at all!

BT HUB SETTINGS 1.PNGBT HUB SETTINGS 2.PNGBT HUB SETTING 3.PNGBT CONNECTION STATUS.PNGTaken yesterday at 16.10Taken yesterday at 16.10Taken yesterday at 16.20Taken yesterday at 16.20

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

As can be seen form the Checker return your line at the end of  July was actually performing better than predicted, TBH , at over 20Mb on an ADSL connection, you must be very close to the exchange.

The router stats would be helpful , but taking the speed test info , obviously something has happened between the end of July and now , to account for the speed reduction from 21MB to 9Mb.

The photo posted shows the master socket test port with an ADSL filter plugged into it , you should try another filter , but before that , plug the phone into the test port , dial 17070 and take the quiet line test , there should be no ‘noise’ ( crackle, pops , bangs etc ) if there is report your line noisy, if it’s quiet , then plug a wired device ( like a laptop ) into the new hub, and the hub plugged into a new filter in the test port and run a new speed test …but it would be better to see the router stats …( advanced settings )

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/learn-about-the-bt-hub-manager

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

I'm confused.

If you don't have an ADSL filter & don't know how to plug into the test socket, why is there an image of an ADSL filter plugged into the test socket in you first post?

Edit: There may be some confusion here as without quote's, it's hard to tell who you're replying to.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@judymeg 

Please delete your phone number from dslchecker as this is public forum and may lead to lots of spam

according to dslchecker results your expected speed is 16.5mb but it shows that on 25/5/23 your connection speed wa far better at 21.44mb

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

I've photographed the results of what I should be getting and for the last two years I have been getting that.  I don't know how to do the second part of your reply.  I am 72 years old and not very technically savvy.  Any help would be great!  Sorry to be a pain in the **bleep**!

BT AVAILABILITY CHECKER 1.PNGBT AVAILABILITY CHECKER 2.PNG

0 Ratings