cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6

Re: Can a second Master Socket increase my speeds?

It's just a spare pair of wires, might only go back to a joint box outside your house or nearby, would not be fully connected back to the PCP (green cabinet) 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 2 of 6

When I was a CST Openreach had a Service called Hatteras. I assume they still have it.

Basically it was a DSL Service that used Bonded Pairs. Don’t ever remember it being just two though, pretty sure it was always a minimum of 4.

All 4, 6, or 8 lines were then connected to a Hatteras System to combine the speed.

Never once installed it at anyone’s house before, only in Small/Medium Businesses so I assume it was sold by CP’s as a Business Product only.

No idea how much it cost but I’d imagine it’d be expensive, talking in excess of £150 a month and that’s being conservative.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

If you do order a second line either from the same ISP as the first , or a different ISP to the existing service it’s important that the ‘new’ provider confirms that it’s a new line they have ordered from Openreach ( on your behalf ) , often it seems the existing service is just taken over by the new company so it’s important to get them ( whoever it is ) to confirm that it’s a second separate service being ordered .

Often although the underground cable into the property is capable of delivering multiple services, only one ‘pair’ is initially connected, so it may be some work in the underground network is needed to get a second pair through to the property , ( so it may take a little longer ) , but ultimately you would get a second master socket installed on the end of the second pair , the performance of the second line should be very similar to the existing line , if two separate services are OK  , so you connect some devices to one connection and others use the second  connection then no ‘speed’ improvement will be available, just less devices using the bandwidth, but if you basically ( using the appropriate kit ) connect the two together via the same load sharing router , you effectively get better performance as the two services are aggregated together.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thanks iniltous.

Is your question , can two separate pairs be combined so one service is delivered over that ‘bigger’ cable  , then the answer is No

That's really interesting, a few places I had been looking suggested some ISPs had been doing that but perhaps that was not BT as they had not specified. 

If your question is the simpler can two individual services be delivered over this multi pair house lead in cable , the answer is usually Yes .

That's more what I was thinking yes.

I suppose the meat of the question was is any of this possible, am I barking up the wrong tree. It sounds like from your answer I'm on the right path as this was not a business line. Trying to get my terminology right for what I'm actually asking for when I reach out to BT 1st line so thanks for the input.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Is your question , can two separate pairs be combined so one service is delivered over that ‘bigger’ cable  , then the answer is No, if your question is the simpler can two individual services be delivered over this multi pair house lead in cable , the answer is usually Yes .

Although there were some services ( legacy , no longer sold and were ‘business’ type connections ) that aggregated several cable pairs together, in effect increasing the conductor size , ( bigger conductor size more bandwidth ) it was never available on ordinary lines …so although your incoming ‘lead in’ cable may be a 2 or 5 pair cable , that’s of no consequence for a single service.

What you can do , with the appropriate equipment is connect two separate services into a load balancing router , so ( for example ) if you had two separate services at 30Mb , that gives an effective 60Mb bandwidth, you ( of course ) pay for both 30 Mb services and the equipment that handles the clever stuff.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Can a second Master Socket increase my speeds?

My property has a DSL connection to a Master Socket 5C, I need better speeds or a separate line due to interference from other users on the network. I cannot get full fibre for quite some time and satellite or mobile won't really cut it for what I need.

Looking into it I have found some posts indicating it is possible to have two separate connections.

My understanding is the copper cable itself has two sets of pairs. One a main and one a back-up. Both capable of carrying a network connection to the cabinet, then exchange. I was also told it is possible to have your Master Socket set-up to connect only to the main pair and a second Master Socket connected to the back-up pair. In effect making two connections, which could be used with two separate routers to effectively create a separate line. 

I've seen it mentioned that some Master Sockets are set to use both pairs to boost the overall speed being outputted is is it possible that has been done and I would not be able to do this? Am I understanding the tech here correctly?  

Any advice in general apreciated.

0 Ratings