cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29

Re: Switch to ADSL2

Go to solution

To update: hardly anyone at BT knows what ADSL1/2/2+ means, and if they do, they fob me off with ‘ring tomorrow and we’ll switch you then’, then nothing happens.

After 3-4 weeks and about 6-7 hours on the phone to BT, I’ve asked to cancel with waived early exit fees (which they also messed up), and have switched to Andrews and Arnold ISP.

The sales woman there knew more about ADSL than BT tech support, which tells you everything.

I’ve marked this as an accepted solution, ie: ditch BT.

Message 2 of 29

Go to solution

There are only a few houses here, and no-one's got that far into it. They just put up with the awful connection.

As I say, without knowing a little of these things I'd be in the same boat.

They can't switch me now because there's an open order for a new hub, the logic of which escapes me.

I have to ring Value and Loyalty tomorrow to request the switch, which presumably will involve a similar three-hour session trying to get through to someone with basic technical knowledge of copper broadband. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

I guess Connections went the same way as the Moderators...

Have you asked around the neighbourhood to see what others have? There is a "right" to a minimum 10Mb service, so that may be worth investigating.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-and-broadband/access-to-decent-broadband/broadband-uso-need-to-know/

Also Openreach have a community scheme that might be appropriate, given that FTTP seems to be available in the town centre.

https://www.openreach.com/connect-my-community

Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks.

I have a little background in RF engineering, but not BB stuff,  but ended up having to explain that the switch uses the existing line, just changes how the signal is sent down, "a bit like changing the channel on a walkie-talkie, or LW R4 to FM".

She's gone away to ask.

I'm not sure why it's up to the customer to request this, not the network engineer. If I didn't have that little bit of relevant knowledge I'd be sunk.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

you are obviously getting nowhere so I have asked a mod to suggest a connection/number where you can talk to someone that understands adsl/adsl2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

BT guide "I've been here 20 years and not heard of ADSL1/2" 

Transferred to Connections so here's hoping...

Edit: Connections: "ADSL2? do you mean the filter?"

Help!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

I think some of the CS or guides don't know the difference between adsl and adsl2 - it just a old style copper connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution
Halo 3 is nothing to do ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL or indeed FTTP. It's just a marketing add-on providing a few bells & whistles and an excuse for BT to charge about twice the amount as they would for a new customers, for the same basic service.
Unfortunately, BT agents are all incentivised via commission to upsell to Halo 3, so the agent you spoke with was either ignorant or, more likely, just looking to get a commission.
I would go back to BT within your cooling off period and insist you don't want Halo 3 and do want ADSL 2. You may need to try several different times so as to get an agent who understands this and is not so intent on maximising their commission.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks - that's the one I thought.

With that in mind, it's strange I was told it wasn't available.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 3.0 -- 2.0 to 5.5 Available Yes

that from dslchecker shows adsl2 available to you