cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT screen sharing request

Go to solution

I was recently offered a new broadband contract via the BT live message system on my account. The agent then said I had to accept her screen sharing request to proceed. I wasn't happy with this so ended the message. Was this a scam by the agent? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT screen sharing request

Go to solution

@Easterross97 

You were correct in refusing the request. There would be no reason for someone from BT to request this.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
thank you Keith, I'm glad i ran! If there are people inside BT doing this then we should all be very vary
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I think the advisor explained it wrong, sales use a system that allows them to share the details of what they see so you can read the terms, usually a link is sent, you then view the terms and prices etc, once you reply it sends confirmation you accepted the offer.

BT is a massive company dealing with private/personal data, restrictions are in place that wouldn't allow advisors to install a program or any software not whitelisted by the company.

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@-Richie- 

Would it not be better to email or text the details to the customer, so they can read it, and reply? The customer then has a copy to refer to.

Viewing a remote screen on a customer smartphone (most likely) is not going to be a pleasant experience and important details could be missed. On a computer, the customer would have difficulty capturing what is showing on the remote screen.

I cannot see any advantage by sales using the method they do, and customers are going to be wary.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

yes exactly Keith; i was being harassed by sales and it felt all wrong. The irony is that I have been bombarded with incomprehensible and very lengthy emails from BT after each of 4 different attempts to renew my fibre package over the past 2 weeks, giving many different prices that ALL turned out to be wrong.  I DID renew on the 5th phone attempt where I discovered that ALL the previous "offers" and account set ups were wrong by a very large margin. BT really needs to change and simplify it's admin. It shouldn't be this hard!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Would it not be better to email or text the details to the customer, so they can read it, and reply? The customer then has a copy to refer to.

To send an email takes longer than sharing live, being quicker and efficient reduces the call duration, also this way makes it easier to deal with any miss-sell claims, the customer can see what they're ordering before an order is placed, which means no need to review any calls if customers dispute anything later on.

EE have done this for a while, my last 2 mobile orders had this process, everything sent while I was on the phone, read the details and accepted, sales system confirms accepted, also ensures compliance because the system sends everything that advisors should read out but human error could emit.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
yell dot com is a big company, they scam people using this method! no need to screen share or force sales on people period
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
utter BS nonesense. this is just a means to force sales quickly! your making customers read and sign. people should be given time to read, think, get back. right, method used in sales, to get sales and nothing more. if you encounter this sales method, avoid, complain or go elsewhere.

i just got a phone call from EE, what a surpise, now the pushy sales team are going to start harrassing to get a sale. shop elsewhere.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
I didn’t have a problem using this method when I last re contracted. I made sure I printed off all the conversations to PDF. Useful as I was charged for the new hub when I was promised it would be foc. I could refer back to this document.
0 Ratings