cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Additional router for smart hub 2

Go to solution

I have just had FTTP installed at my 160 year old house. The walls are 28 inches thick and solid. Previous to the fibre I had 'copper wire' and had wired in a home network as I live in a wifi 'not spot'. The new smart hub 2 works well and is achieving the max 150mbs I opted for. The SM2 is on the top of three levels. On the ground floor of my old setup I had a wifi router with Lan ports on it to boost the internal wifi. These were used to connect a number of different applications which are not wifi. However the old router is 'old' and has a max speed of around 65mbs. I go online to find a replacement and there are dozens, some with mixed reviews and others good or bad. What none seem to say is they work with BT fibre, they mostly say work/don't work with Virgin or Sky.

So can anyone recommend one that works with BT and is under £100. Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Additional router for smart hub 2

Go to solution

You don't need a router. You need a wireless access point (WAP) with Ethernet ports. Have a look at the Netgear WAX204 or WAX206

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

As already said, it’s not a router you need but a wireless access point. One option would be to turn off dhcp in one of your other routers, wire it to your network  and use that as an access point.

option 3 below 

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115002559945-How-to-boost-your-wi-fi-by-using-an-old...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@spile I believe the OP is already using an old router as an access point and wishes to replace it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

That is correct licuorice, the current wifi/lan port router needs upgrading.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Any router made in the last four years should do the job and allow you to repurpose it as a wireless point. Router performance is immaterial as you won’t be using it. I have an old Plusnet router that works well. Typically you’ll pay around £15 for a used one.

0 Ratings