cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Are there any teeth to the speed guarantee?

I've spoken to someone on the phone and been told that BT would guarantee a download speed of at least 25Mbps or I could claim money back.  Frankly I'm less interested in the money than the guaranteed speed.

At the moment on my line I'm getting 14Mbps.  I've been through it at length with my current provider but despite having sent an engineer to my premises who said they fixed it the speed hasn't improved.

Some technical info:
Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.3
Line attenuation: 30.1 / 19.5
Signal attenuation: 31.7 / 15.9
Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

I'm told these figures mean that I should expect the speeds I'm getting so either the guarantee of 25Mbps is something BT would not actually be able to back up or there is still something wrong with my line.

Your own site at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/telephoneHome tells me that it ought to be able to do better:

VDSL Range A (Clean) High 58.2 Low 40
VDSL Range B (Impacted) High 56.7 Low 35

So - if there are teeth to the 'speed guarantee' and I might be able to get the line working as expected I would switch.

Any advice?  Moving house to somewhere the internet works isn't a realistic option and getting my own fibre optic cable installed is prohibitively expensive.  Would BT actually fix it or just keep giving me my money back?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Are there any teeth to the speed guarantee?

If there is a problem with your line the problem will still be there if you move to BT.

You would be better to get your current provider to fix the problem then you can decide whether or not to move providers.

As regards the speed guarantee see link

What is BT's Stay Fast Guarantee? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Post the connection stats from your router  the information posted does it show any connection 

Bear in mind all speeds quoted are connection speeds not download speeds

As you are not a BT RETAIL   customer you really need to try your own ISP forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Reading that link I get the feeling that as usual the sales people will tell you what you want to hear.  I note that the speed they guarantee is determined after you sign up, presumably so they can run tests and find out what speed you get then set that as your guaranteed speed instead of having to repair the infrastructure.  I suppose it will either stay the same or get better so it might be worth it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi, @RandomUsername27 the speed guarantee isn't determined after you sign up, it's provided to you when you're placing the broadband order. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thank you, that's encouraging.  It's beginning to sound like the clock is ticking for my current broadband reseller.

0 Ratings