cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Asus AiMesh Network with BT FTTP 900

I have replaced my BT Hub 2 with a Asus RT-AC86U router and set up an AiMesh network with a couple of Asus RT-AC68U's. Problem is, the https://speedtest.btwholesale.com  told me that I was getting 1090Mbps but my Asus Router tells me I am getting 550 - 600Mbps. By the time that gets to the the Shed Office in the garden it has dropped to about 23Mbps. BT will not help as I get the 450 they promise but I am wondering if I can do something with the Asus settings to get nearer to what I am promised?

PS - I know 550Mbps is fast, I don't need told that. My problem is a crashing network that drops its speed or drops out all the time. I don't need to pay for 900 when I can get 300 guaranteed at a cheaper price i.e what I had until I took a new deal on the faster speed.

Cheers Boys and girls. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Asus AiMesh Network with BT FTTP 900

I'm assuming you are testing over WiFi from the statement "By the time that gets to the the Shed Office in the garden it has dropped to about 23Mbps".

Best to test with a wired Ethernet connection rather than WiFi

Message 3 of 5

Disclaimer- I use UDM/Orbi and you may have already tried the following but if not

1. Make sure you have the latest firmware
  2. You could try turning off any features except the firewall.
  3. I remember a post about someone changing their MTU from 1492 to 1500

Your low speeds to the shed could be down to distance, barriers (like walls) and/or interference. Cabling would be the best solution as @jac_95  said but I couldn’t do it so I have a mesh that extends to the garage but the only way I could do that was to daisy chain a few Orbis.

I hope you fix it.

Message 4 of 5

@djsgrant 

You'd better head off to snbforums for support with Asus settings. But a quick advice - if you wish to go wireless route with AiMesh at those speeds you'd need to invest into Tri band AX routers like 11000 (if money not an issue) or ax92u (budget option) that have dedicated wifi6 backhaul. 

Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the quick replies guys. It is very frustrating. 

0 Ratings