cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Broadband Master socket move

Go to solution

Hi. I have extended a BT Master about 35 Metres from its original location using standard Telecom 4 pair cable run through cables trays, I get dial tone fine but the Broadband speed dropped from 62Mb/s to 30Mb/s download and 17Mb/s to 6Mb/s Upload, I have left the router to stabilise for 24 hours and no change, I also have a 10 pair screened cable up in the same cable tray and get even lower speed when using a pair on that, any suggestions for why this is happening?

Ps Speedtest were done on Ookla with Same Master Socket, RJ11 Cable, Micro Filter and Router.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Broadband Master socket move

Go to solution

@steveaknight 

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I believe it is, contracted through Midshires.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@steveaknight wrote:

I believe it is, contracted through Midshires.

Not sure what you mean? Who do you pay for your phone and broadband service?

Which BT home hub are you using?

The wiring before the master socket belongs to Openreach, and you should not have extended it that way.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Sounds like you maybe a business customer with the mention of cable trays and a distance of 35M

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

We pay Midshires for the broadband, router is a Draytek Vigor 2762n, it is definitely a BT Line, it says Fibre Broadband on the bill. This is a large communal building not a house. The issue with moving the BT Master socket was a need to, because M Quinn told us the 10 pair cable was faulty, how else would I prove whether they are talking ****? and yes I found working pairs on the cable without looking too hard with a continuity tester, I believe as the BT socket is inside the property then moving it is down to your own personal judgement on whether you have the skills to do it yourself, and that you take the risk that if you mess it up and call BT to fix it then you will be charged to correct it. I'm an electronics and Computer (Servers) engineer and have been for well over 30 years and I used a professional punch down tool very carefully and standard telecoms 4 pair cable, I get that you probably see a lot places where people make a mess of their own wiring and wonder why it doesn't work but not everyone should be tarred with that same brush!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

No i don't think it's BT Business, It says on the bill BT Fibre, we pay a company Midshire, it's a communal building, much larger than a domestic property. Also it's newly built so has cable trays in the ceilings, The Master sockets just been put in a rubbish place with no other spare Network ports to connect a router too!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@steveaknight wrote:

We pay Midshires for the broadband, router is a Draytek Vigor 2762n, it is definitely a BT Line, it says Fibre Broadband on the bill. This is a large communal building not a house. The issue with moving the BT Master socket was a need to, because M Quinn told us the 10 pair cable was faulty, how else would I prove whether they are talking ****? and yes I found working pairs on the cable without looking too hard with a continuity tester, I believe as the BT socket is inside the property then moving it is down to your own personal judgement on whether you have the skills to do it yourself, and that you take the risk that if you mess it up and call BT to fix it then you will be charged to correct it. I'm an electronics and Computer (Servers) engineer and have been for well over 30 years and I used a professional punch down tool very carefully and standard telecoms 4 pair cable, I get that you probably see a lot places where people make a mess of their own wiring and wonder why it doesn't work but not everyone should be tarred with that same brush!

Then you are not a BT Broadband customer, you are a customer of Midshires, so you will have to ask them which broadband provider they use, and they should be able to help you with the internal wiring.

As this forum is for BT Retail customers, who get their phone and broadband service from BT Retail, then nobody here will be able to help. BT do not use Draytek routers, they use their own BT Home Hubs.

There is no such thing as a BT line any more, its owned by Openreach, so if you damage the cabling or network equipment, you will be charged by your Service Provider, whoever they may be.

The term BT Fibre is misleading. It should be Openreach Fibre, its a very common mistake. 

0 Ratings