cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT NowTV Channels Pre-watershed Parental PIN requirement

Pre-watershed Parental Pin requirement on certain NowTv Sky channels, when viewing via the youview box.. ie. Sky Arts.. Despite switching off the Parental Pin requirement within the box settings.

I'd like the Parental PIN removing from the BT youview box sky channels.

I've entered my Now TV account and removed the parental PIN requirement. However prior to 9pm certain channels still request a PIN. I've been told this a Now TV issue, and required by legislation. However Now TV have stated this is a BT Issue!!

Yesterday eve (30/10/21) I couldn't watch Sky arts channel 364 "The Hollies" documentary without entering a parental PIN. Very frustrating while channel hoping.. However I could view channel 363 Sky Crime "The Worlds Most Evil Killers" or  channel 368 Sky History "The History of WWll" without any parental PIN requirement.

It would appear this block only affects BT customers, viewing via the tv guide on their youview box.. If I view these channels live via the NowTv app on the TV box there is no parental pin required ?

The choice of what requires a pin should perhaps also be questioned.. Can't watch sky Arts documentary about the "Hollies" without a PIN, but can watch "The World's Most Evil Killers"...... 

As a 50+ year old, without children in the house, can I not be trusted to decide ?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT NowTV Channels Pre-watershed Parental PIN requirement

It is required by OFCOM that you have to enter the PIN. It would be the same if you were to watch the channels on Sky Q.

Message 3 of 7

OK 

So OFCOM legislation requires parental PIN access to view a documentary on "The Hollies", however no parental access to view "The Worlds Most Evil Killers".. That surely can not be right ?

Just out of interest my daughter has Sky Q and is able to view all these channels without parental PIN access, once turned off within the box settings..

So this OFCOM legislation would only appear to be applied to BT customers viewing NowTV via the channel guide..  Viewing these channels via the NowTV app on the box doesn't require the PIN. Likewise viewing these channels from the NowTv app on my smartTV doesn't require the parental PIN either.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I can't comment on how it works with the NOW app as I don't tend to use it to watch live content. I've used Sky Q a few times when watching shows on Sky Comedy that are pin protected in the same way they are on BT TV.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

It's pretty frustrating when channel hopping...

Just spoken with my daughter who is able to select Sky arts HD without parental restriction PIN on her Sky Q box..

The Parental PIN protection on the selected BT NowTv channels appears a blanket requirement despite what is being aired.. It appears ludicrous that a NowTv Sky Arts channel Hollies documentary was deemed to require a parental PIN. While a NowTv Sky Crime channel program on mass murder's aired at the same time was deemed acceptable ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@daza  the reason that a PIN was required to view. the Hollies : Look Through Any Window  yesterday at 6pm on Now Sky Arts is that the supplied programme data contained the Guidance For Adults Only . 
the reason that World’s Most Evil Killers   . Volker Eckert broadcast at the same time  6pm on NOW Sky Crime did not was that there was no guidance present in the programme  data. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I guess that highlights the system (as is) doesn't work.. 

0 Ratings