cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT TV Box Pro - now bricked!

OK, so following the problems wit the box cancelling recordings when switching it on in the morning, this seemed to be resolved by turning off smart standby. However, today it cancelled the football at half time (WH v AV). The wife spotted this and restarted the recording but she (typically) set it to record on the SD channel and not the HD one.

Anyway, I was so p***** of with this that I contacted BT support via online chat. The operative had me do a reset of the box, but when it came back up to the set up screen the remote would not work. Upshot of it is that I now have a bricked box, with an OR engineer coming Thursday, so no TV for 4 days at least.

What really gets me though is that they say that if the problem is found to be "with wiring at your end" then I'll be charged £85 extra on my bill! But the wiring was put in by OR so why should it be my responsibility? This will be the second time OR have had to come out to sort out their botched FTTH installation and now getting totally fed up of it.

Alex

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT TV Box Pro - now bricked!

So if you've reset the box - is it not doing anything when you try and install it as a new box?

I've never got anywhere trying a online chat and have always had to call in the end. I think the agent is very limited in what they have access to and can do. I've even had them tell me to call faults.

I think you last paragraph is a standard message from BT if they can see no issues at all then you'll pay if it's your fault  - I've had that a couple time.

@alexmiddwrote:

OK, so following the problems wit the box cancelling recordings when switching it on in the morning, this seemed to be resolved by turning off smart standby. However, today it cancelled the football at half time (WH v AV). The wife spotted this and restarted the recording but she (typically) set it to record on the SD channel and not the HD one.

Anyway, I was so p***** of with this that I contacted BT support via online chat. The operative had me do a reset of the box, but when it came back up to the set up screen the remote would not work. Upshot of it is that I now have a bricked box, with an OR engineer coming Thursday, so no TV for 4 days at least.

What really gets me though is that they say that if the problem is found to be "with wiring at your end" then I'll be charged £85 extra on my bill! But the wiring was put in by OR so why should it be my responsibility? This will be the second time OR have had to come out to sort out their botched FTTH installation and now getting totally fed up of it.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

A bit unsure why they are sending Openreach for a non-responsive BT TV Pro box. It doesn’t sound like it’s due to a network issue, unless you are also having issues with your broadband service?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I think a call to faults would be a good idea for the OP. OR will not touch anything in the house like a TV box and I'm sure broadband issues would be highlighting elsewhere.

@Will168wrote:

A bit unsure why they are sending Openreach for a non-responsive BT TV Pro box. It doesn’t sound like it’s due to a network issue, unless you are also having issues with your broadband service?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

It will be a Qube engineer who would attend for a TV fault, not Openreach, who's responsibility ends at the master socket or ONT .

You can verify this as the appointment slot will be a 2 hour window instead of 6 hours.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I previously had the same issue, you need to re-pair the remote with the STB, which can be done as below:

1. Press the Home and 9 buttons at the same time
  2. Hold down the buttons until the LED around the BT icon flashes purple three times
0 Ratings