cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: Broadband Speed Slow

If you manage to get the connection speeds from your router, then the  connection speed should normally be within range A as shown on the chart. i.e. between 51.2 and 67.9Mbs.

Actual download speeds would be slightly lower than these figures, as there are transmission overheads that need to be included.

A noisy phone line will affect speeds.

BT will probably require you to connect a BT Home Hub to the line, as that is often the only way they will accept speed faults, as they can remote access the home hub to extract information.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

As I said I had speeds of 65Mbps for years and my set up and router location has not changed but the last six months its been constantly below 40Mbps and as I showed 39.6Mbps today. This is way below the BT acceptable level and I am just annoyed that I purchase a good router to get whole home coverage before BT offered anything similar and now I need to reconnect a low grade BT router to have them accept its slow. Thats why I am thinking the easiest way is to start over with a new broadband supplier that offers a more acceptable speed.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 29

Its your choice, however your connection is determined by the distance from the cabinet, and the quality of your line. That will remain the same whichever Openreach supplied provider you use, and there is no guarantee you would even get an FTTC connection, if the cabinet is full, as you would lose your existing port.

Your predicted speed may have been adjusted downward, as the result of crosstalk from other circuits connected to the cabinet, as new customers are added.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 29

Well Well well, a few weeks ago BT were advising my lowest speed would be 43Mbps consistantly would result in a compensation. Now my speeds are advised as acceptable between 35 and 39Mbps so that probably answers the question in that BT have generally reduced the speed to my area. They didnt though reduce the monthly charge!! Maybe therefore it is time to move my supplier.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 29

Changing supplier won't change the laws of physics. Your speed hasn't deliberately been reduced it is a result of line conditions and increased levels of crosstalk from other customers.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

I dont think Virgin comes down the same fibre does it?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 29

virgin is totally different delivery system

any chance stats from draytek see what connection like in more detail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

So more customers at the same price but sharing the bandwidth so slower speeds. Thats like saying we are only giving you half a litre of petrol when you fill up but its still the same price as the demand is greater at this particular filling station. Then I need to get onto another fibre from maybe Virgin. Not everything comes down the Openreach line. I sell fibre so have a reasonable understanding of the infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 29

@JohnyG wrote:

I sell fibre so have a reasonable understanding of the infrastructure.

Clearly not, if you think crosstalk is the same as sharing bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

Have you actually reported a fault and had an engineer visit in an attempt to fix it?

0 Ratings