cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband connection keeps dropping

Hi there, hoping someone may be able to help with this as I'm reaching the end of my tether. I have a Home Hub 5, ever since moving to my new house I have had nothing but issues with my WiFi connection keep dropping out. It affects multiple devices, phones, laptop and PS4. On both mine and wifes phones we constantly lose connection, only for it to either reconnect after 30 secs or so automatically, or by us manually having to reconnect it to the network. Sometimes it says "incorrect password" yet we do nothing to change it and it then automatically reconnects. Lately the issue is getting worse on PS4 which keeps dropping its wifi connection as well, often in the middle of online games. I have contacted BT regarding this numerous times, they reset the router from their end and run checks which seem to fix the issue for a short while but then it comes back. They even sent a wifi extender at one point but nothing seems to work. I'm at the point of cancelling my contract and taking broadband with another provider now as I can find cheaper packages offering the same/greater guaranteed speeds that will hopefully provide a stable connection. I'm sick of having to try to rectify this each time it goes wrong whilst paying for a service i dont feel i am getting. Any help gratefully received! 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping

From your post it seems that your internet connection is ok but your problem is the wireless connection

have you tried splitting the 2.4/5ghz networks and then selecting the channels manually rather than automatic. You can get a wifi analyser app which will show nearby networks and the channels they are using and you can try a channel free or less congested

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks, I've tried that but still having issues. Says it will reconnect to the 5ghz network now when signal strength improves. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Screenshot_20200526-103245_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

As for the line test, I dont have a landline phone in the house unfortunately. I also have 3 phone sockets in the house, of which only one actually seems to work and it is the master socket in an upstairs bedroom. I use that and a plug in wifi extender downstairs to provide coverage around the house. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

apart from the low connection time your stats look ok with max 80/20mb connection and 3.3db noise margin suggesting you have G.INP active helping boost speed

you have split the wireless networks but I would also select a channel manually instead of leaving on auto

you could get a free wifi analyser app for your mobile and use that to see surrounding networks and the channels in use.  then select a least used channel for the hub

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thanks the reply again. Would that mean I'd have to do that each time I connected to the wireless network though on each device?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Once you've set the channel manually in the hub you should be OK.