cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband slowed, open fault with BT, not sure what to do next..?

Hi, I have had a number of problems with my broadband for a while now, and having to work from home the problem has become so much more apparent.

In June I moved from Infinity2 to the new Complete package and got a little mini disc with a new Smart Hub 2.

By the beginning of August I was fed up with the constant drops, so used the online troubleshooter and they said there was a problem on the line and I did not need an engineer, as they would fix it. So far so good...

By the end of August the constant drops were back and I ran the troubleshooter again, which said I did now need an engineer and one was duly dispatched. They checked it all over, replaced the circuit board where the line comes into the house, fiddled with something outside and all was good again... for around a couple of hours.

I have tried to run the trouble shooter again, but it tells me I have an open fault and to contact BT. As I click on the link it takes me a page of options for things to select and eventually back to the trouble shooter... which tells me I have an open fault and to contact BT... (and repeat)

Is it possible someone can see the details of the fault i raised, and update it so I can say it is not fixed and that I require someone to take another look?

In terms of the problem, I now notice noise on the line (sometimes) and the last time I received a phone call the broadband dropped. Although as it does this a few times a day that may or may not be coincidence... The speed of the broadband is down to 20Mbps / 0.7 Mbps when it was hovering nearer 50 / 15.  

I have pulled the master socket off, put a filter on, but it has made no difference. I have swapped the Smart Hub 2 for the older Home Hub 5, which seems to be marginally more stable (although it does restart a few times, but seems to do it not when I am in the middle of a work Zoom call!)

Can anyone help, or do I have to bite the bullet and phone BT..?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband slowed, open fault with BT, not sure what to do next..?

Just looked up the stats on the router: These are the sorry looking figures:

Chris_S987654321_0-1598980316604.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

if you try quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2 it should be silent apart from announcement and best done with corded phone

does you connection drop if you make a call on landline?

your speed drop is the result of your unstable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did a line test this morning and it was quiet, and did not cause the Home Hub to drop out. However the stats on the router show it did restart (again) last night and my various figures are still low:

Chris_S987654321_0-1599030322816.png

I will try again later (back to a fun morning of back to back Zoom calls until lunch!).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi, just took another quiet line test and no noise and no hub drop out...

The router stats now show:

Chris_S987654321_0-1599064326184.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

If you cannot maintain a stable connection then your speed is never going to improve and may get worse.  You need to phone BT 150 and get engineer visit 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings