cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Connecting smart lights to wifi

Hi, 

we recently moved from Vodafone to BT fibre broadband as we were fed up with the service cutting out. We got some smart light downlighters installed in our roofline about a month ago and we had them working fine with the vodafone service, even if occasionally they fell over and had to be reconnected.

Now we have a much better broadband service, but we can't get all our lights connected to the wifi. They are SmartKnight lights that work off 2.4Hz, so the first thing we did was to disable the 5hz. Lights closest to the router are connecting easily. Others further away are not. We suspect that they might be jumping onto neighbours routers but that's a guess. The SmartKnight app is terrible. It's not user friendly. 

So if anyone has any ideas that we can try, I'd be really grateful.

We spoke to the tech spec at SmartKnight but anything he told us, we'd already tried. We're at an impasse. Out of all the consequences of getting better broadband, having *this* much bother connecting these lights, wasn't one we'd anticipated!

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connecting smart lights to wifi

@GallusEffie 

This thread was for smart plugs, but the same applies.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-2-disabled-5ghz-and-won-t-reconnect/t...

Some smart devices working on 2.4GHz seem to confuse the home hub, which then tries to connect them to the 5GHz wireless module.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Are you sure you have decent WiFi coverage for all the downlight locations. You may need to extend the coverage from your hub. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

have you turned of smart setup  

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings