cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 54

Re: Correct way to enable all BT sockets after Digital Voice

Hi  Another example of BT not listing all the issues that may occur and providing people with the information to know what to do or of course you cannot do anything.   I only have a basic knowledge of things but I feel sorry for anyone who just uses it as a phone and as no idea of digital - copper etc .  thanks again Malcolm

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 54

Some information that partly relies on historic conversations. Decades ago I worked on one of BT digital exchange systems. Digital exchanges were created to at least emulate the older exchange types. A largely forgotten new feature was to allow Multi Frequency Dialling as well as the older loop disconnect dialling. With this new feature many new handsets were sold and used by customers.

The new digital exchanges though had to operate with loop disconnect dialling as well. This was especially important for the many alarm systems that were connected (so I think I remember during a conversation).

Anyway when I had issues with my standard phones, I also tried to connect a Loop disconnect phone to the Hub and dial out via my fibre broadband. The result was Loop disconnect no longer works with FTTP via the hub. I am guessing it would have still worked on my old copper line, but cannot confirm that.

This information has been given in case it is relevant, particularly with alarm systems. 

Message 43 of 54

Hi. Thanks  it seems some might work as BT tells you just to plug in.  Mine sadly doesn't.  

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 54

I am with you on this topic
0 Ratings
Message 45 of 54

I have just used the male to male connection proposed in this discussion. I disconnected the incoming line as directed and all is well for me.  I now have one BT Big Button 200 phone and a mains powered desktop amplicomms PowerTel 2880 phone working off the HomeHub 2 digital voice socket.  Thank you to the Community.

Message 46 of 54

Keith thanks for this.

I have FTTC, what's the best way to enable all BT socket after DV? My Hub2 is upstairs in the office but my burglar alarm which relies on a dial tone phone line is downstairs, hence why I would really like to enable the bt socket which my alarm is plugged in. Alternatively would a DV adapter work and how do I obtain this for free (as some of the posts in this forum seems to suggest) as I notice on BT website its priced at £14.99? 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 54

You probably should check with your alarm provider, if your alarm system simply dials out when detecting a threat , then it’s not the most effective alarm ( cutting your phone line renders it useless ) , a historically more effective solution  was ‘ABC’ type alarm (alarm by carrier ) like Redcare , where cutting the line was also detected as a threat , but AFAIK these are  now few and far between , mainly replaced by alarms that use mobile networks to contact their  monitoring centre.
Your alarm company should be aware of DV , and long term should be offering a replacement if your alarm relies on detecting 50v , making a PSTN call and isn’t compatible with DV.

Message 48 of 54

Thanks very much.   Did check with alarm company but would need a complete new box etc.   This is expensive. I am sure I am not alone to pay the price of progress

Message 49 of 54

Hi.  The dv adaptor works with old phone type but not the alarm.   Something to do with pulses or something.   I got. One free as option was digital phone or adaptor .  I failed with all options on community

Message 50 of 54

Pulse dialling (loop disconnect) is no longer supported on all new digital connections. The alarm dialler should be using tone dialling, just like modern phones do. I am surprised they are still using pulse dialling, perhaps there is an option to change it, on the alarm unit itself?