cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Default on Credit Report

Hi, 

I have had a mortgage refused because of a failed credit report. 

When I checked the credit report it is due to BT registering a default of £ 17 in 2015 against my account. 

At no time did BT ever notify me that a payment was outstanding never mind notify me it was defaulted. 

Payment was by direct debit I have bank statements from 2015 showing BT collecting payment and no rejected payments . 

I have contacted the credit report company Equifax and they are going to dispute the default with BT but having read through other similar cases I am wasting my time as when they do contact BT, they will say the payment is outstanding. I want to know who to contact / write to in BT to get this sorted immediately.  

I am in the middle of purchasing a house and have a mortgage refused over a mistake from BT accounts. 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Default on Credit Report

@Shanemcnameewrote:

I have contacted the credit report company Equifax and they are going to dispute the default with BT

You are following the correct process, wait for them to investigate and see what they come back with.
More info about it at BT Credit Files explained 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Problem is Richie I am not prepared to wait. 
BT have destroyed by life with this silly mistake. 

I have just had a mortgage application refused because of a £17 debt from 2015 that I dont owe . subsequently the purchase of a family home has fallen through.  My life has been turned totally upside down. 

All because of a problem completely caused by the incompetence of BT.

I am not prepared to sit on my hands and wait and I simply won’t accept BT cannot fix this without first being contacted by the credit company. 
I telephoned earlier and was told there is an ‘Experian department’  surely I can be put in touch with them.  
If I don’t get a satisfactory response by morning I will bring the matter to the financial ombudsman.
Also I wish to make a formal complaint so if you could give me contact for that also.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Are you sure you don't owe anything? It could simply be a case of a direct debit being cancelled & correspondence missed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

I'm sure you've had a look at Google (or this forum) your same query is all over it like a bad rash. Unfortunately there's no cream for it.

There's no way that default will be removed unless there's a definite error on BT's part and I find that highly unlikely as they process deafults as per the financial regulations. Their systems will show the direct debit failed and/or you didn't pay the final bill. Simple.

You would of received a barage of telephone calls and eventually, a default letter. There's no real valid excuse for not receiving those (moving home: should divert mail etc). 

I'd say you're stuck for several years until the debt falls off your credit report. I believe that's usually 5 years from the default starting (letter issued).

It's your responibility to pay your bills that can't be moved to anyone else.

I would consder contacting a mortgage advisor as I've heard of cases where people have settled the debt (doesn't remove the default but it's shown as "settled") and they've still managed to get a mortgage jumping through a few hoops.

Or you can wait it out for the deafult to expire.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

@Shanemcnameewrote:

Also I wish to make a formal complaint so if you could give me contact for that also.  

https://www.bt.com/help/contact-bt/complaints

@Shanemcnameewrote:

If I don’t get a satisfactory response by morning I will bring the matter to the financial ombudsman.

The Ombudsman will ask if you've given BT 8 weeks to resolve the issue before they would normally help.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Highly unlikely there is an error on BTs part !!!  you are having a laugh 

I set up a direct debit. No direct debit was ever refused and i have bank statements showing them collecting their bill. For some unknown reason they didnt collect this amount but I received NO notification of same. 

I also received NO notification the amount was owing and NO notification the amount was being defaulted. 

I recieved NO barrage of calls. Not one.  NO e mails. NOTHING.  

FFS its £ 17  do you honestly think I would risk being black listed for £ 17 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Re: Incorrect payment default on credit file

Hi Neil, 

I have a similar problem. 

£ 17 default mistakenly registered against me which is preventing a mortgage application. 

Can I PM you the details please ? 

For the record I have already contacted Equifax and opened a case. However having read through this thread I fear when they contact BT, they will say the default amount is not a mistake and I will be back to square one. 

Thanks

Shane

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Hi @Shanemcnamee, welcome to the forum, and sorry that you are having this mark on your credit file. 

You followed the correct process to dispute your credit file. They'll raise this with the liaison team for Equifax and Experian within BT. They are the team within BT that is responsible for credit file updates. If they get back to you and you still need help post back and we'll be happy to help.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Hi John, thanks for the reply and I understand the process. 

Having read similar threads about the same issue, the problem is when Equifax contact BT, that BT tell them it is not a mistake and the amount is due and then I am right back to square one. 

I need to BT to confirm in writing that a mistake has been made. 

I can then attach this to the Equifax application and they can in turn present it to BT so there can be no confusion.

You understand that I have to wait 28 days for a response from Equifax so I need to get this right first time. 

I have all the details - account number, bank statement etc. that I can PM to you. Could you find me a contact in BT who can confirm that a mistake has been made ? 

0 Ratings