cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Dreadful WiFi

Go to solution

I live in the depths of nowhere at the end of a fibre BB line miles from the local exchange. Not surprisingly my speeds are extremely slow (around 7mbps).

That is not my biggest problem, however. This is a large house, my Homehub 5 is at one end of it and my wifi is hindered by several granite walls up to two feet thick. On occasions, particularly evenings and weekends, the wifi signal just fails and I have to just stop working. I can only reliably get round the issue by trailing metres of an ethernet cable from the hub to my laptop through doorways etc.

I've tried using the mains electrical circuit but have multiple circuits in the same main house.

What are my options please? I would like two or three reliable points where I can use my computer

Thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Dreadful WiFi

Go to solution
Get a mesh WiFi system. You can either get them from BT, or source them elsewhere. I got a set of 3 Deco M5’s from Amazon and they are excellent.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I use the Tenda Nova MW3 which is cheaper, and works quite well.

Mesh systems are able to be able to get around thick walls, provided there is some form of path between two or more nodes, either on 5GHz or 2.2GHz.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you !

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

If you have an old router I can recommend repurposing it as a wireless extender. You will need to connect it to your BT hub and locate it in the dead spot. 

0 Ratings