cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

FTTH - What happens if I take FTTH then change to another address without FTTH

Go to solution

Hi

I'm a new user on here so apologies if this is not the right place to seek an answer but I could not find it online and BT are virtually uncontactable via phone right now.

My area has just been enabled for full fibre to the home and I am considering upgrading from one of their ‘standard’ fibre packages.

However, I live in a rented property so it is not guaranteed that I would not move to another address within the standard 24month contract period for a full fibre package.

My question is, if I sign up for a 24month FTTH package but then move to another address that does not have the option for FTTH (only standard fibre or worse!), what happens to my contract charges?  Do they stay the same or revert to whatever product & price would be available at the new address?

I hope I can guess the answer but, until you see it in writing, it is not true.

Thanks

Craig

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTH - What happens if I take FTTH then change to another address without FTTH

Go to solution

It's known as FTTP, that is, Fibre to the Premises.

Since FTTP requires some internal and external alternations, you would need to liaise with your landlord before you commit.

Further reading at

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/ultrafastfibreaccess/fttpondemand/fttpod.do 

Multi-Dwelling Units (MDU) and Multi-Occupancy Units (MOU)

We recommend that you discuss the property type with your end customer to establish whether their premises is a multi-dwelling unit (MDU), i.e. apartment block, or multi-occupancy business unit (MOU), prior to the order being raised. Any orders received for MDUs or MOUs will be rejected.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: FTTH - What happens if I take FTTH then change to another address without FTTH

Go to solution

Hi @Carlusha ,

The link you provided is for FTTPoD. and does not answer @Elmeck 's question.

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi

Many thanks for the very quick response and apologies for using the incorrect acronym.

I think you might have assumed that I was a landlord, MDU owner or property developer……….I’m not.  I’m just a normal private end Customer that lives in a standard house on a residential area that now has FTTP capability.  My private landlord has no issues with me requesting this Internet service if I chose to.

The info at the link you kindly provided seems to be Commercially based?

Do I need to persevere and try to get through to BT on the phone to get my answer?

Thanks again though.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Apologies for providing that link. As I explained though, you do require the landlord's permission before you have the work commenced because it involves both internal and external works. Further consideration is whether the landlord only owns the flat and not the building. Further, more than  likely, the whole building is under a leasehold and therefore possibly covenanted.

By way of example, an entitled tenant in our block decided upon Sky. A dish exists and there was a spare LNB. He thought that was great and arranged for connection directly with Sky without consulting with anyone. His flat is at the rear of the building. Result, cable hanging from dish to porch, hole drilled in external wall into porch, hole drilled into hall (common area). Cable running all the way down the hall, up to the ceiling, then drilled another hole through into the rear flat.

Some owner residents wanted to snip the cable but I managed to calm everyone down. It turned out the flat owner lived in Germany and the flat was managed. We agreed with the managers, who knew nothing about the cabling, to have the unsightly areas repainted and repaired.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi

I totally understand and agree with getting the right permissions beforehand but, as I said, this is not an issue in my case.  It is a private rented house (detached) and I have landlord permission to do this if I want.

My question is, if I sign up for a 24month FTTH package but then move to another address that does not have the option for FTTH (only standard fibre or worse!), what happens to my contract charges? Do they stay the same or revert to whatever product & price would be available at the new address?

Cheers

Craig

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

The best people to advise you on this would be the FTTP team. They will explain everything to you and you can then decide what to do.

0800 587 4787

Let us know how you get on.

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you 'pippincp'  👌👍.

Gave them a ring, got through pretty quickly.

Got the answer I hoped for and ended up placing an order.

Cheers 😁

Sorry..............just in case anyone else has this question..................BT have confirmed that if you take a FTTP package for 24mnths but subsequently move to another area/property that cannot get full FTTP, you will simply move on to a different package that is available in the new location and you will start to pay whatever that package normally costs.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Happy to hear you you have been reassured. Thanks for letting us know.

0 Ratings