cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 36

Re: FTTP (Full Fibre 900) download being throttled when VPN connected

Absolute tosh.  How many of BT's millions of customers do you think have Cat8 Ethernet?

Cat5e is perfectly capable of Gb speeds correctly wired. 

Message 32 of 36

Just to throw an Everest-sized spanner in the works (I've skimmed the thread and if this has been mentioned I missed it).

VPN connections are very computationally expensive, so on inferior hardware you are always going to see a massive slowdown when using a VPN compared to when not!

The CPU in the third-party router I use is several times more powerful than that in the Smart Hub 2 (assuming that it's the hub that is managing the VPN).  VPN speed here maxes out at 600Mbps, and they don't even stay at that for long as the CPU in the router will start to throttle thanks to temperatures after some seconds.

Beyond a point, VPNs are going to kill your max speeds no matter what you do!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 36

this is nonsense. Cat8 is the latest specification of ethernet cabling and can go up to at least 10Gbps.
Cat5e is rated to 1000Mbps as well as cat 6. BT have bullshi**ed you
Message 34 of 36

I am aware of this a I work in IT myself, the VPN is my employers and you are right the Hub is very sub par.

VPN's however, do not 'kill' your speeds, there is usually a 20% ish degradation for data encryption. so on a 1000 Mbps look at about 7-800Mbps unless the VPN server is throttling.
0 Ratings
Message 35 of 36

Hi, my vpn is on PC not Router so should not be an issue and to be honest recently BT appear to have stopped throttling my connection when on VPN so a policy might have changed 

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 36

the policy they have always vehemently denied they had LOL. Not an issue for me now. Moved to YouFibre Syncronised Full Fibre 1000Mbps down and up!!!

The openreach network has fallen from the top spot to Netomnia, this countries main network supplier actively cap your upload speeds to a tenth of your download. Netomnia do not. If you can get YouFibre at your house bite their arm off!!!
0 Ratings