cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Fibre 1 broadband speed below guaranteed minimum

Hi there. wondering if anyone could give me some advice? Had Fibre 1 for 9 months, our guaranteed minimum is 17 mbps, but have only occasionally reached this. Recently it has got really bad and reached an all time low on Friday 8th January of 0.2 mbps. We did the online line check and decided we needed to contact customer services. After a long conversation, the advisor said an engineer would need to come out to run tests on the hub (which l don't believe is the issue). Obviously due to Covid this made me really worried (esp as we have a vulnerable person at home). I explained this to the advisor and asked if we could be sent a new hub instead or to temporarily swap it so the engineer could take it away and test it - to which the advisor stated no. After more conversation l reluctantly accepted an appointment for Monday. However the more I think about the more anxious I feel about an engineer coming into my home. I am now considering canceling it, and was wondering if anybody has had slow download speed fixed via the hub test? I later read on BT website that repairs should be contactless visit unless there is no internet connection at all? Also  I cannot find out how to access online chat or find an e-mail address to contact BT CS, does anyone know of one? Thank you in advance! ☺ 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Fibre 1 broadband speed below guaranteed minimum

try a factory rest of the hub by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash

when hub restarts then turn off smart setup

Turn Off smart setup

enter your phone number and post results  delete number before posting

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Screenshot_20210114-200905.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Hi there, thank you for your reply, I have posted the results above for the broadband checker. I have also reset the hub as advised and turn off smart setup, but this has unfortunately not improved mbps. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Do you know if you have a dial tone?  If so check for noise. Dial 17070 options 2. Should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Hi there, we have done the silent test and there was no noise on the line.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Having recently (4 days ago) had problems with my speed, the engineer found the fault was external and he never needed to come inside, if he did though they are taking steps.
Before the visit you'll be sent a link to explain the steps being done to avoid risk, if it puts your mind at ease, you can see it in advance, see www.openreach.co.uk/coronavirusengineervisit

I hope that helps 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Hi, thank you for the link, that's great. I was told by BT customer services that the engineer would definitely have to enter my home and test the hub as first port of call. Having read the info in the link though it says that in the event of a full lockdown the engineer will "only enter the home for urgent provisions and critical repairs, including the installation of a new line where a customer has a total loss of service" so as the problem is neither, and the engineer apparently needs access to my hub to run tests, I'm not sure if it will even get fixed! If the engineer didn't need to come inside that would be great 😊 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Openreach engineers don't use the hub to conduct tests.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Oh OK, so what is being tested and how?, sorry I am just so confused, it appears I may have been told they wrong info and worrying unnecessarily! 

0 Ratings