cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Fibre 900 speeds are well below guaranteed

Go to solution

I own a Asus rt-ax88u and I’m getting the same speeds as I am on the bt hub. Been on the phone to bt about 4 times and keep getting the mess around. Told to call back in 5 days etc I’m paying for 900mbps not 150 if I’m lucky on Ethernet or 60mbps over wifi , absolute joke.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

@PatrickMcDonnell 

Have you setup a PPPoE connection as suggested in your other post to rule out the router and see what is actually coming into the ONT.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

Not sure what’s changed but plugged in my asus router and done a test over wifi and was getting 600mbps. Done a test on the pc was still 150mbps. Decided to run the cable straight to the router and started getting 900mbps. I would highly recommend not using power line kits like TP-Links as they clearly can’t go any higher than 250mbps. I have wasted money on the “gigabit” kit so don’t make the same mistake as I did. Best thing to do is to invest in a long cat 7 Ethernet cable and a Ethernet switch 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

Pity you didn't mention the power links in the beginning.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Never thought they would have been the problem due to them being “gigabit” capable and the amount of money I spent on them 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Finally got round to testing using the laptop connected directly to the openreach modem. Was getting up to 700 mbps. Tried wireless again and getting close to 700 mbps, so I’m happy enough that it’s working ok. This time I was using a 2 year old Dell laptop and the smart hub 2, one observation was how different the wireless speed tests were depending on what device was used, the Dell laptop was reading 600+ mbps, the 2020 iPad was reading 300 mbps and the android phone was 150 mbps “- all on fast.com, although speedtest was similar.

thanks for the pppoe suggestion, I keep forgetting the smarthub is only a router!

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Now you know why all speed tests dhould be run with a wired connection. With wireless there are too many variables.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Yeah some older computers seem to bottleneck download speeds these days, glad you got better speed now.

0 Ratings