cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Fibre to the premises

I have Fibre to the Cabinet from BT/Openreach. 

"line_characteristics": {
"pcp_id": "2",
"mdf_site_name": "SAINT CROSS",
"mdf_site_id": "EASCR",
"last_monthly_update_date_time": "2020-12-22T00:00:00",
"dp_line_length_estimate": "2842",
"dp": "91",
"anfp_category": "S",
"aggregated_circuit_line_length_estimate": "2894",
"aggregated_circuit_line_length_calculated": "3620",
"aggregated_celerity_db_loss": "42.7",
"aggregated_capacitance": "208",
"aggregated_calculated_db_loss": "44.44"
},

I get about 25 Mbps download.

The BT/Openreach optical fibre goes right past my house, with a pole less than 20 metres away from the telegraph pole next to my house that brings in the copper.

What equipment would BT/Openreach need to install both at my local cabinet & on the fibre optic (splitter?) in order for FTTP to be installed at my premises?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre to the premises

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

@rpatterson51 

The BT/Openreach optical fibre goes right past my house, with a pole less than 20 metres away from the telegraph pole next to my house that brings in the copper.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sadly you are one of thousands in the same situation, unfortunately it isn't just as easy as splicing into the fibre and giving you a service.

FTTP is a very complex network and doesn't come from the Cabinet, it is connected to an "Agg Node" which could be anywhere in your vicinity from 500 yards to 10 miles away.

Check the link above and fill in your details to get further information.

When it looks similar to this you are good to order.

BT Broadband checker.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

The exchange is St Cross served by Cabinet 2.

It is currently not slated for FTTP - but I was wondering what effort/equipment BT/Openreach would have to install at the Cabinet & at the fibre optic pole by my house in order for FTTP to be made available?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

There must be (I think) an Aggregation Node connected to the cabinet.

So then perhaps BT/Openreach would need to install a Primary Splitter & Secondary Splitter in order to provide FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

If there is already a ‘fibre optic pole’ close to your house , it’s entirely possible that the fibre isn’t anything to do with FTTP, if it were a fibre leased line , then that infrastructure wouldn’t be of any use to you ...how do you know this pole has fibre attached , does it have for example a label ‘caution overhead fibre ‘ on it  ?

If the pole in question actually already has a FTTP CBT provided , are property’s closer to the pole than you able to order FTTP ?, it could be work was started but not finished , and there could be several reasons for that.....more generally FTTP doesn’t use ‘cabinets’, no work is required at any cabinet, but should FTTP ever be made available it’s quite possible the aggregation node that provides the fibre to the existing FTTC ‘cabinet’, will provide the ‘fibre’ to any FTTP infrastructure.

FTTP doesn’t generally appear on the BTw  checker until it’s available , but you can ask OR about  plans they may have about FTTP for the area you live in.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@rpatterson51 

It would make things bit clearer if you ran the dslchecker and posted the results. It will show if FTTP available or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 12

Very sorry for not being clearer.

Right now FTTP is not available for my property. I was wondering what effort & equipment was involved from BT/Openreach to make it available?

I am 100% sure the pole outside my house is Fibre (Caution Overhead Fibre labels on the poles), that it is owned by BT & that it is not a line paid for by a local business. In several of the local villages, FTTP is available.

This is the pole 3 up from the one outside my house - it is located at a T junction where one strand goes to the next village which has FTTP & one along the road past my property.

20201228_101812.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

The photo does appear to show overhead FTTP, but if it’s not the pole that currently has your copper dropwire attached but 3 poles away , it could be of no use to you hence you not appearing to have FTTP available.

Your property not appearing on the list could be a mistake and your property should be included , or it could be correct , especially if your property is on its own in an isolated position and further away than the maximum pre made fibre dropwire available (AFAIK 300m) and the existing poles not usable to get the fibre to your home ( there is a maximum allowable span length between poles ) , so if for example the total distance to your home was less than 300m , but between 2 poles was 120m then you couldn’t be served without further network build.

The FTTP network isn’t BT’s responsibility but Openreach, you may be able to contact OR , if they check they may find that your property should be shown as available, there is a FTTP BT team , they may look at this for you if you are currently a BT Consumer customer.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Fibre does go from the pole in the image to the pole next to my house and away on down the road.

0 Ratings