cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Frequent drop outs and never getting my stay fast guarantee ?

I've recently been having an issue where my connection drops 5-6 times a day (flashing orange light on home hub)

I've tried the recommended steps and there's been no change. My agreement also states that I should expect between 60Mbps and 73Mbps with a stay fast speed of 53mbps.  I VERY rarely ever get those speeds and receive 44mps at most with an average of 30 - 35 mbps.

These speeds are from tests using BT's own speed tester and  by accessing the routers settings via the smart hub manager and currently the status is "Downstream sync speed: 
40.00 Mbps"

I'm also experience problems of high ping in online games and slow download speeds (Steam etc) which I've never had before (Ethernet via a powerline adapter which an Open Reach engineer said wouldn't cause any issues) .

Now I'm happy to accept some drop in speed due to the current circumstances but to not even be getting close to my stay fast guarantee on a Tuesday afternoon isn't acceptable when I'm paying extra for the privilege.

Has anyone else had this issue and was or how was it resolved?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Frequent drop outs and never getting my stay fast guarantee ?

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply.

I did hear some sporadic "flickering" sound on the phone like test (cordless phone)

Here are the results of my test:

jackpn_1-1591709711189.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

if you can hear noise on quiet line test you need to retry test but from the test socket which is behind master socket faceplate.  If noise is still there then you need to report a phone fault to 151 but if noise disappears then problem is with your internal wiring or the faceplate itself.  If internal then you would be charged for engineer visit but free if noise external

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

Updated my previous post with a screen shot for clarity.

Will try the test again now.

I've noticed "VDSL Range B (Impacted)" and the info pop up states that could mean that there are wiring issues?

However I've never done this test before and when compared, the speeds barely differ from VDSL Range A so am I right in thinking that it might not be the cause?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

need you to post your hub stats

noise on your line is mostly likely cause of your dropped connections which in turn cause the DLM to take action by increasing noise margin and dropping speed.  from what yo have posted it looks like the numerous drops have resulted in a banded profile

Message 7 of 9

Stats from the technical log

jackpn_2-1591710708980.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I redid both quiet line tests and both were fine.

I have had a steady 52mbps in the past. Before the lock-down and during for a short amount of time since but I for at least 3 weeks I've had the above speeds and lower.

Is there anything I can do?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

stats confirm you are in banded profile due to the continual drops in connection

if line is totally silent in test socket then use a filter and connect hub to filter and see is that stabilises your conenction

0 Ratings