cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 77

Re: Full Fibre To The Property with Digital Voice and Third Party Router

You could simply dispense with BT's voice service altogether and use a third party VoIP provider and your Asus for voice service.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 77

Re your question about call diversion, just so you are aware of all the information yes it's possible but if you are diverting to a non BT landline or BT mobile number there will be a charge: https://www.bt.com/help/landline/all-about-call-diversion-for-digital-voice

As licquorice has stated it maybe best just to go broadband only and port your number to an alternative VoIP provider. Saves having to double NAT too which may cause issues for some local devices on your network if you need port forwarding ect...

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 77

Putting the smart hub between the Asus and the incoming fibre connection is not something I want to do. 

Call diversion sounds like it could get costly if we get charged for the re-routed calls. Unless I get a standalone BT Sim and phone, just for that purpose.

Porting the number sounds good. Any issues or charging with that option?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 77

I have done a little more research, spoken to more BT people and still have more questions than answers.

1. Is there a chance that the new Digital Voice phones / adapters are both DECT and WiFi compatible, so could work without the Smart Hub as BT informed me is the case earlier?

2. If not, and the SH2 is required to be connected directly to the ONT for the Digital Voice service to work, is this the case for a permanent call forwarding solution? Could I configure the call forward and then disconnect the SH2?

3. Is it correct that the equipment for Digital Voice can only be ordered after the day that the switch will happen?

4. When will the switch happen, how much notice will we get?

5. If I go for the porting the number out to another VOIP provider option, will there be an issue with separating my phone number from my FTTP broadband service? 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 77

@rambles 

1. It’s not possible to have digital voice without the SmartHub. The adaptors still need the SmartHub to work. You need the SmartHub for digital voice to work. @jac_95 and @licquorice are spot on about everything they have said.

3. That’s what BT seemed to be telling people, but I called customer services as I wanted a working phone line on the day DV activated and they manually put an order in for me and the phone arrived before my activation date. I do note that people have had mixed success trying this though. Seems to be a little hit and miss depending on who you get on yhe other end of the call.

4. As to the notice period, once they decide to migrate you, it’s usually only a matter of 2-4 weeks before you’re moved over. I managed to delay mine for a little while in order to have enough time to arrange an alternative security system to be installed. I was told the maximum I could delay was 6 weeks.

Message 16 of 77

@rambles wrote:

I have done a little more research, spoken to more BT people and still have more questions than answers.

1. Is there a chance that the new Digital Voice phones / adapters are both DECT and WiFi compatible, so could work without the Smart Hub as BT informed me is the case earlier?

No

2. If not, and the SH2 is required to be connected directly to the ONT for the Digital Voice service to work, is this the case for a permanent call forwarding solution? Could I configure the call forward and then disconnect the SH2?

Yes, you don't need to even connect the SH2 for call forwarding, it is not done by the SH2.

3. Is it correct that the equipment for Digital Voice can only be ordered after the day that the switch will happen?

4. When will the switch happen, how much notice will we get?

5. If I go for the porting the number out to another VOIP provider option, will there be an issue with separating my phone number from my FTTP broadband service? 

No, you can now buy broadband without telephony. You may not be able to port your existing number to a third party VOIP provider however.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 77

@licquorice 

Yes, you don't need to even connect the SH2 for call forwarding, it is not done by the SH2.

Thanks, this is interesting - how does call forwarding work on BT Voice? Could I set it up online, via the BT website and just have all incoming calls directed to another phone. There is a BT mobile in the house, so if re-directed there, would it be no cost? Potentially add a bluetooth handset to that mobile phone?

No, you can now buy broadband without telephony.

When I bought my service the landline came bundled in free of charge. Do BT let me now split that off and keep the broadband with them, and take the phone elsewhere? I have read that I would need to cancel both services to release the phone, then re-order a broadband only service. This could involve new contracts and potentially a loss of broadband service at changeover.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 77

Call forwarding is done at the 'exchange', not locally.

I have no idea of the logistics of splitting off telephony, just that it is available. There is little saving in cost as the line is still required for broadband regardless of whether it also carries telephony. It is quite possible you would need to cancel and re-order with a new contract. Perhaps @-Richie-  or @jac_95  might be along to clarify.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 77

@licquorice Thanks - very helpful.

Call forwarding is done at the 'exchange', not locally.

I know that this is the case with the current (copper) network. Are we sure this is still the case with Digital Voice?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 77

Yes, call forwarding is a network function, the SH2 hasn't any capability to divert calls.

0 Ratings