cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Get Boosted SMS

If I've never provided the NHS with my mobile phone number and yet still received this text am I correct in assuming it was either sent by BT themselves or that they provided  whoever sent it with all of their customers' numbers?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Get Boosted SMS

@simonali wrote:

If I've never provided the NHS with my mobile phone number and yet still received this text am I correct in assuming it was either sent by BT themselves or that they provided  whoever sent it with all of their customers' numbers?

It would have been sent by all mobile operators to all their numbers registered on their customer database. I think there is a facility called cell broadcast, which is also used for emergency alerts. They do not need any personal details to do this.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

There was no emergency but I've switched off all alerts and notifications relating to them. I get another SMS like that and BT will be getting a complaint!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@simonali wrote:

There was no emergency but I've switched off all alerts and notifications relating to them. I get another SMS like that and BT will be getting a complaint!

The Prime Minister must have decided it was an emergency 😉

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

It's an Emergency Broadcast as mandated by the UK Government. BT and other providers have no choice but to comply with the broadcast request and complaining to BT about it won't accomplish anything.

Message 6 of 6

There are more coming along https://www.gov.uk/alerts