cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

I have too many wired connections on the new Smart Hub 2

I can see from the BT Hub Manager that almost all our devices, such as teenagers' mobile phones and laptops are now connected via the Ethernet since installing the Smart Hub over the weekend.  I'm not sure how, as they have always been wireless before.   Perhaps it is because there is listed a 'mini home wifi hotspot'  that now also seems to be connected to the ethernet.

The problem is that only two devices were on the ethernet before, both crucial to my work.  Since almost everything is on, they have really slowed down.  How can I remove the other devices so that they go back to being wireless please?  Or is this the right way to go about it anyway?   

By clicking on a device to remove in the ethernet list of connected devices, there is a Remove tab but it doesn't work  when I click on it.  

As you can tell, I'm not very tech savvy!  I am however gutted that the new Smart Hub has made matters worse.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: I have too many wired connections on the new Smart Hub 2

If you have a mini wifi hotspot, any devices connected to it will appear as Ethernet rather than wifi in the hub manager because the extender connects via Ethernet..

Obviously the more devices connected to your hub by whatever means will mean that whatever bandwidth you have is shared, whether they are connected via Ethernet or wifi won't make any difference. If anything, multiple wifi devices will be slower than multiple Ethernet connected devices.

Message 3 of 6

Thank you so much for such a swift and very helpful reply.   

I'm afraid to say that I don't care that some of the other wireless devices are slightly slower, as I have to use Zoom for my work, and this needs to be as fast as can be. 

Is the case that if everything is now piled onto the ethernet connection via the hotspot, that slows my work laptop down please?   We got the Smart Hub 2 to help with the slow wireless connections because of multiple devices, whilst I was more or less ok with the ethernet, but now it seems to be turned the other way around.    

The mini hotspot is meant just for just one teenager's bedroom as she was getting very poor wifi.  Can we get others to switch that connection off and connect to the main base, on eg their phones and laptops, rather than me doing this as an administrator?  Thanks so much 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

As stated previously any slowdown is purely due to number of devices in simultaneous use, NOT the medium connecting them.

It would make absolutely no difference to your Ethernet connection if every other device connected via WiFi rather than Ethernet

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thank you so much.   I now understand.   The only mystery is why it has slowed down when the Smart Hub has replaced its much older predecessor, but perhaps I need to take that up with BT direct.  Many thanks for your time and help.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

If you have just connect the Smarthub 2 you should make sure that you turn off  "smart setup" on the hub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

If that doesn't help and if your old hub was working as expected you should just go back to using that. Newer does not always mean better.

0 Ratings