cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Intermittent disconnect of VDSL and phone in high winds

We are 77/78 with serious health issues and, with no mobile signal and no immediate neighbours, so often could not call 999   if needed.

Recently experiencing long dropouts on phone line and on FTTC VDSL, particularly in high winds.

Frequent loud crackling and  line disconnect,  concurrent with line 50VDC fluctuation and router disconnect.

Repeatedly checked at BT Linebox with all else disconnected. I am technically competent and qualified.

Router slow to re-sync, but often only for brief periods. The filter is fine - I have a few on hand to swap around.

Fault reported online to BT 12th Jan 2021, but no follow-up yet.

Report to BT repeated 19th Jan 2021. 

The fault-finding questionnaire does not allow for reporting intermittent faults. Answers are yes/no.

BT appears to do a line-check when the wind has dropped and the tenuous connection has partially restored itself

- until the next wind gusts...

BT repeated line checks when communication was briefly possible, and reported no line problem detected,  probably a faulty filter...

Same fault experienced a few years ago. After many vain attempts to elicit BT's interest this Community was discovered       and graphic stats were submitted to this site.

Moderator Stephanie followed it up and engineers arrived soon after, promptly located and repaired the break in the dropline. Brilliant, Stephanie - ever grateful!    It could be the same again - or further back along the 2.5km copper line to the Cabinet.

When I get a brief opening, I will upload this file with a graphic showing intermittent line  disconnections

VDSL disconnecting 18jan21VDSL disconnecting 18jan21

Any help in convincing BT/Openreach that there is a serious intermittent fault would be much appreciated. In the event of an emergency, we could be a serious risk.

Michel

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Intermittent disconnect of VDSL and phone in high winds

Hi @michel,

I am so sorry to hear about the problems with your line, especially during high winds.

We can take a look into this and contact our suppliers for you. I've sent you a private message from this account.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Daniel, many thanks for arranging a site visit by OR engineers. They came today, promptly found the intermittent break in the overhead line and repaired it efficiently and professionally.  After testing, the download was up to what it used to be.  We are impressed with BTC's support and the professionalism of OR engineers and wish to express our thanks to you all.

Message 4 of 4

Hi @michel thanks for the update and good to hear you're back in service. It's @DavidM who picked up your case and he'll be in touch to wrap things up with you on Monday so enjoy the weekend.

cheers

John

0 Ratings