cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Internet Randomly Dropping Momentarily

A couple of weeks ago when our contract ended we upgraded to the latest, greatest Halo2 Infinity superfast blah blah whatever and were mailed a new home hub as a result. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or related but I thought it was worth mentioning - we did have some internet outages before with our old one but they were much less frequent. The last few days I've  noticed a ton of minor dropouts, it always reconnects right after but dropping for the minute it takes to reconnect is more than enough time to ruin any game anyone might be playing at the time and so is extremely noticeable.  

In the last three days this has happened maybe five or six times that I know of, so likely more than that.  

Also a quick run of google's speed test shows that our speed (both up and down) has gotten worse too so I'm wondering if there's a problem with the line? I remember running the test and getting fine results the first day we upgraded. 

Any advice how we should go about getting this solved as quickly as possible?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Internet Randomly Dropping Momentarily

I'd log into My BT, go to the trouble shooter via Help and follow the instructions to test your broadband.  You might then want to unplug the Hub for one minute to reset it  and do the test again.  After that I would call 0800 800 151 to report the problem and they will run further tests and log it as a fault.  I had to do all that yesterday.  Not a long wait in the queue.  Good luck.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser)  HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

We don't have a corded phone but I did hear some crackling. I've turned off smart setup. The errors I'm seeing on the log when the internet goes down are "DSL Link Down: duration was 5058 seconds" (varying number of seconds of course).

Here's the results from the link:

internet test thing.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Three weeks later and this problem still isn't fixed. They sent a guy to mess around in the cabinet down the road and said it was fixed. It wasn't. They sent a new hub and said that'd fix it. It didn't. I spend half an hour on hold and then laboriously verifying my identity to be told that "we're aware of the issue and looking in to it" and then politely told to **bleep** off and not phone again until they tell me the fault is fixed and three days have passed (what kind of muppet do you think I am? electronic equipment doesn't take three days to "settle down" it's either working or it isn't) and the problems go on. We were emailed the other day after I embarked on yet another lengthy telephone session of waiting, verification, and talking to someone who knew a lot less about my problems then I did and whose script was clearly not equipped to handle actually helping me and yet again told that the problem was finally fixed. To my absolute lack of surprise the complete **bleep**show continues. This is wrecking what little is left of my mental health, we renewed this massively expensive internet contract and now we're paying through the noses and what exactly are we getting? What is it going to take to get this fixed? Where are those home tech experts that were promised? Why was my internet completely down for ~half an hour last night? The problem is actually getting worse. At this point it seems like a concerted effort to drive me to another provider. I don't even know if we are allowed to cancel the contract now, or if we're stuck with 2 years of this.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Do you still have noise on your line? Have you reported a noisy line fault?

0 Ratings