cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Is there anyway I can keep the phone line connected to my router and take the phone out of my room

Go to solution

Hey guys, I am sure you have heard and or using now the new changes that BT has implemented when it comes to phones in the household that phones need to be connected to the router now instead of an actual phone line which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma...

I live in a house with a family and they obviously need to use the phone which I don't really, but the router is in my room and I would like to keep it that way, but a phone will need to be connected to my router which lies the problem. I am a night owl and sleep pretty much during the day when the phone will be ringing a lot and will wake me up a lot which is gonna be a huge hassle.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice if there's a way that the phone will still be connected to my router, yet I won't be bothered with phone calls, I want them obviously to still come through in other areas of the household, but just not my room if that makes sense.

Is there anything I can do or get which can resolve this dilemma that I have? I know it may sound silly to most people, but I do need to get my beauty sleep as we all do, but getting phone calls in my room ain't gonna do that and I need the router in my room? Is there anyway this can be resolved, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Is there anyway I can keep the phone line connected to my router and take the phone out of my ro

Go to solution

The phone doesn't need to connect physically to the router, it is a DECT (cordless) base station so the handsets can be anywhere.

When you get Digital voice, you will be supplied with either 2 basic or 1 advanced handset.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Re: Is there anyway I can keep the phone line connected to my router and take the phone out of my ro

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick reply licquorice, I'm not sure I understand what you mean though, could you explain more please.

Me and my family had a time with it with BT today talking about all this and they apparently said that the phone does need to connect to the router which means there has to be a phone in my room unless we misunderstood them.

I think though we are getting a 2 basic set so does that explain anything to you, with what you said, how can I resolve this if I can that is? Thanks again!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

It is just like having a cordless phone. The hub is the base station and the phones connect to hub wireless over dect and therefore can be placed anywhere in your home with no need to be physically connected to hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
Oh I see now, thanks for explaining both of you.

I just hope the phones we will be getting from BT will be as you say they are and not some old phones where one of the phones has to connect to my router physically... which is not what I want as I explained...

I have one more question, these wireless phones, will they have some sort of charger with them where they can be charged so we don't have to worry about the battery life?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

The phones are new digital voice phone and each comes with a charging base unit so you can plug in anywhere in your  home as dect should cover better than better than a WiFi signal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

It will be exactly the same as having any other normal cordless phone, just that the main base unit that you would normally have and connect to the phone line, is now built into the hub rather than a separate unit.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Sorry for the follow up guys, but my mum insisted that the phones will probably be the same according the girl who she was talking to from BT told her, so I am not sure if you are correct when it comes to this system that yous are talking about.

Which means I will have to connect one of the phones to my router, unless that's what happens when you get basic phones. I am hoping she was maybe wrong or my mum didn't understand the girl correctly what she was saying about it all.

All I know really is that we are getting a new hub coming along with phones so I am hoping you guys will be correct. It's all just theory I guess until the phones arrive on Tuesday...

If my mother is correct, is there even any way you can turn the phone that may be in my room down so I don't have to hear the ringing lol?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

The Digital Voice phones connect wirelessly via the Smart Hub 2's DECT capability. If you've order a Digital Voice phone be that the essential or the advanced one with the built in Alexa featiure they connect to the Smart Hubs DECT capability.

What you can also do if you want to use a normal non-Digtal Voice phone is rather connecting the phone to the green phone port on the back of the Smart hub 2 is get a Digital Voice adapter that the normal phone base station plugs into and pair it to the BT Smart Hub 2 via it's DECT capability. 

Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

We are correct, girl from BT is incorrect, which  unfortunately, seems to be quite often the case.

@imjolly  has Digital Voice and I can also assure you that the hub is a DECT base station and doesn't need to have a phone physically connected to it.

There is capability to physically connect a phone if you so wish, but it isn't a requirement.

Why ask the questions on the forum if you are not going to believe the answers?