cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Lag spikes in games, didn't have this with Virgin. For months since signing up.

Been on BT for a few months, random lag spikes in different games all the time for months now. 7 lag spikes in a few hours of gaming for example. I did not have this with Virgin. 

What is going on? Is the router bad? 

I think this generally happens when someone is SIMPLY watching TV which is via the internet. Virgin did not have issues with this same dynamic.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lag spikes in games, didn't have this with Virgin. For months since signing up.

A common problem this is:

How can I prioritise my PC internet over the rest ... - BT Community

Also reading Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is... - BT Community

People think BT are prioritising streams.  

Great...

Easing the issue with bandwidth control on each port with another router improves the situation but does not fix it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Lag spikes in games, didn't have this with Virgin. For months since signing up.

If that is true BT prioritse streams then BT are no good for gaming. I'm lagging tonight and it is doing my head in. Why are they doing this? Are they cheaping out? This shoddy service is annoying me.

"The  Internet providers are more interested in promoting Value Added Content like streaming TV and video, as that is where the money is made."

Re: Terrible latency whilst gaming... - Page 2 - BT Community

Well, just as I thought, irritating greedy BT disgracing customers and following the money. Just the kind of anger I experience everytime I lag out and die, because of greed, which I am paying towards.

The fact I have to buy my own router to mitigate it, what an utter disgrace. 

I might just get a second line, probably better for my setup.  EEeeeeeeee.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi, I'm Charlie

This may not be the best place to complain, you can call BT with the numbers below, Here's a few reasons your games are lagging

You have ADSL or Copper broadband, This is okay for most games but it depends if you are Fibre 1, Fibre 2 or the Universal Credit Deal, It won't be as fast as Full Fibre

If you had full fibre, then it wouldn't be as bad.

Check when your full fibre is being installed here 

There again, the community members can't do anything with complaints so here's the things we can recommend:

Check when Full Fibre will be installed in your exchange/area above

Call BT and they'll act on it

If Full Fibre is already available in your area; upgrade

or Don't use any other devices while you are gaming.

Cheers,
Charlie.

I do not work for BT, EE or BT Group
I'm a very knowledgeable person! Ask me about anything you'd like to know
Contact BT on 0800 800 150 or 150 from your BT Mobile Phone or Landline
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

One thing to remember is that it's not always the ISP (BT) that is at fault!

So, I got the MS Game Pass Ultimate with my broadband, and playing on XBox Cloud gaming, I'll occasionally completely lose the connection to the server.  The internet will still be up, and a speed test from the router will confirm up to 935/104 (if there is no other significant traffic.  GeeforceNow is better - it doesn't drop out - but I've a year of this game pass...  Stadia I really miss you!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings