cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Mesh and FTTP

Have searched the boards but cannot find the answer to this one and would love some help.  I have BT fibre (500) with a Smart Hub 2.  That has BT premium wholehome discs connected to it.

I have an outbuilding and have used a wireless bridge (KuWFI) to "shoot" the signal from the main house to the outbuilding.  In the outbuilding, I am trying to install a Deco P9 mesh system. 

The Deco mesh system is plugged into the KuWFI  (a bit like being plugged into an ethernet port).  I know that the the KuWFI works because when I take an ethernet wire from it directly to my laptop it gives speed of 100MBps.

What setup should I use for the Deco - it seems that it should be PPOE with bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the user name but it causes the internet connection to be lost.  I also set VLAN to 101 but that does not work either.

What am I missing?  Would hugely appreciate some help - have been doing this for hours

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mesh and FTTP

If you are still using the Smarrt Hub 2 connected to the Optical modem(ONT) that will be handling the PPPoE session and the Deco just needs to be in access point mode rather than router mode, or configured as a completely separate subnetwork. Either way, you can only have one PPPoE connection to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

That's increbidly helpful.  How do I put the Deco in access point mode or, if I wanted to create a completely different subnetwork, how would I do that?  Sorry for the stupid question.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@BobbyByker wrote:

That's increbidly helpful.  How do I put the Deco in access point mode or, if I wanted to create a completely different subnetwork, how would I do that?  Sorry for the stupid question.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Message 5 of 6

Again - very helpful - I will try AP mode but to be honest had not seen that in the AP previously.  When in AP mode is it possible to have the TP P3 network in the outbuilding have a different SSID and Wireless Network - I presume so as the AP is merely the method of accessing the internet.  Again, I apologise for what seem like very naive questions. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

In AP mode, you would normally set a different SSID than the home hub, in fact its probably better to do that, or even to turn the home hub wireless off, as it would not be part of the wireless mesh anyway, and could interfere with it.

I have a Tenda Nova MW3 mesh operating in access mode, but I an using a different router with its wireless turned off. The advantage of access mode, is that you keep the same IP subnet as the router, and it avoids double NAT (Network Address Translation), as that can cause issues with gaming platforms, as it block incoming connections.

0 Ratings