cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Need to hardwire a Roon music server

Go to solution

Hi Keith 

I think mine has surge suppression built in to protect my Hifi equipment and Music server.

The extenders are working but my Music Server cannot be found on my network

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

@womaz wrote:

Hi Keith 

I think mine has surge suppression built in to protect my Hifi equipment and Music server.

The extenders are working but my Music Server cannot be found on my network

Basic surge suppression devices do not cause any issues, provided they do not have any ferrite filtering components.

As for not being able to see the music server. Try plugging a computer into the end where the music server is, and see if it can connect to the Internet. That will prove whether the link is working.

The extenders will show up on your network as extra devices, in addition to the music server. You may need to restart the server so it picks up a new IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

Sorry I am not very technical so a lot of this is going over my head

I cant connect my music server direct to a PC .

How can I see what is showing up on my network?

When you say restart the server ......what do you mean by server?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

I should have some time this afternoon to try and get this working.

Is there anywhere I can find more detailed instructions on how to set this up as the leaflet that come with it seems rather basic information.?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

The devices are just plug and play, all they do is turn your mains wiring into an Ethernet cable.

To test if the devices are working, Keith suggested connecting a PC/ laptop to the extension device to see if it connects to the internet via the devices to narrow down the cause of the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

Ok I have tried again this afternoon

The extender that is attached to my router has the Power light lit and the Ethernet light flashing. 

The extender plugged into the wall near my hif has both the Power and Ethernet lights lit......but it still does not find my music server.

Really would apprecaite any further guidance. 

Edit - I have now tried swapping the devices as it says to try this in the instructions, but the result is exactly the same as above

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

You haven't said which 'product' you have purchased. Which exact model of extenders do you have? Did you try connecting a laptop to the extender to see if you have internet access via the link. At the moment you don't know if the problem is with the music server or the extenders. If it makes it easier, just plug the extenders in adjacent mains sockets to verify they are working.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

I will plug them into the same socket and report back.

The music server is def working as I was using it this morning hard wired to my router.

Sorry the product is the one recommended above the Extender 600 kit

Edit - when you say plug them both in do you mean just exactly that , plug them into a socket next to each other and see what lights come on? How will I know they are both working?

Thanks for bearing with me as I am a novice with all of this networking stuff

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

When plugged into a socket next to each other they both have the power light lit up so I assume they are both working.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

They should have the data light lit as well.

Might be worth factory resetting the devices and starting again. Do you have the user guide, if not there is one here https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/broadband-and-wi-fi-devices/wi-fi-and-home-networking/broadband-...