cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

ONT and New Build House Media Port

Hey,

I am probably being "thick" here so please do bear with me however we have moved into a new build house and have a media port installed and various ethernet ports all over the house built into the wall.

In a broom cupboard is the ONT and 6 ethernet ports on the wall, now I have put the Smart Hub 2 into that broom cupboard, plugged the ONT into the WAN port, closed the door and just accepted that the signal is a naff due to the poor location of the ONT meaning I have nowhere else to plug into the Smart Hub.

However... there must be something that can be done with these media ports and in my head, I am thinking that I must be able to plug an ethernet cable from the ONT into one of the ethernet ports in the cupboard, then relocate my Smart Hub 2 to a more central location within the house (near an ethernet point in the wall)  and then run another ethernet cable  the WAN socket and it works ... makes sense right? well its not working but it surely must.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Scott

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: ONT and New Build House Media Port

Just use ethernet cables to connect the hub lan ports to the ethernet sockets and the will provide Internet to the ethernet port in one of your rooms

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

@scottvsaunders wrote:

However... there must be something that can be done with these media ports and in my head, I am thinking that I must be able to plug an ethernet cable from the ONT into one of the ethernet ports in the cupboard, then relocate my Smart Hub 2 to a more central location within the house (near an ethernet point in the wall)  and then run another ethernet cable  the WAN socket and it works ... makes sense right? well its not working but it surely must.

Are you sure there is actually any cabling behind the ports. It wouldn't be the first time developers have provided media ports but no cabling.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

good call - but is my logic flawed when it comes to moving the BT Smart Hub ? it needs to plugged into the ONT directly ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

hmmmm now that would be a pain in the **bleep** - is there an easy way of checking ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@scottvsaunders wrote:

good call - but is my logic flawed when it comes to moving the BT Smart Hub ? it needs to plugged into the ONT directly ?

No, your logic is sound. You can connect the hub via the media outlets.

Message 7 of 10

@scottvsaunders wrote:

hmmmm now that would be a pain in the **bleep** - is there an easy way of checking ?

Remove the faceplate and see if there are any cables connected.

If there are, the sockets possibly haven't been labelled correctly and go to rooms different to that labelled.

Message 8 of 10

Easiest is just connect hub  WAN to ONT  and then connect ethernet from hub to ethernet panel socket and check if you get internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 10

thank you, I thought it was - just seems really strange that its not working - tried plugged the media port into the wan socket as well as the various ethernet ports but its not having any of it. Constantly flashing purple lights
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

When you connect hub to ONT does hub light go blue showing it is connected to internet?

0 Ratings