cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Ordered FTTP - what speeds should I be getting....

One thing to check is what mode your wireless card is set to also :- device manager, network adapters, your wireless card, advanced and check what mode its set too, if it's a/n or a/b/g/n, then try a/n/ac as ac allows faster connection

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

@yorkspark 

Thanks am using android samsung s20 not sure i can check wireless modes on smartphones?

On a laptop I know I can check

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

@converse420 

Thanks I've cheeked my devices are on 2.4ghz

You need to be using 5ghz to get the best speeds on your laptop / computer. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

@busterboy1

Thanks how do I get laptop/ smartphone to use 5ghz... As BT SH2 doesn't allow separate channels... Hmm

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Pardon me for joining the party BUT, given the speed quotes in @ihassan1 opening post, it looks to me that he is on FTTC rather than FTTP. 

The cabinet being just 4 houses away rather evidences the fact with the near 80mbs.

I suggest you log into your MyBT and check exactly what particular broadband you should be enjoying. This can be seen by clicking on YOUR PRODUCTS / BROADBAND and then YOUR SPEEDS EXPLAINED. You can report back here.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

@converse420  I have never yet known of a case where the WAN link speed has been reported less than 1000Mbps. If you have any evidence of only 100Mbps being reported can you please link to it or provide it in another manner?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

@Carlusha 

Correct i am on FTTC soon to be on FTTP

from 192.168.1.254 SH2 data:

Connection type: Fibre Broadband (VDSL) = Very Fast DSL lol?

Downstream sync speed: 79.999 Mbps

Upstream sync speed: 19.999 Mbps

Not sure why im getting lo speeds on wifi, seems its to do with 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequency awfully confusing, lucky am technically.

Most of my Devices are 2.4ghz. I did get a Home Tech Guy visit last week he had a iphone not sure which one that used 5ghz that showed grat speed like 66mbps DL on a 79.99mbps DL BT Fibre FTTC only 4 doors down.

I've checked everything else thats the only thing different from all my devices....

LAN Ethernet i get on DL 61-76mpbs DL guaranteed @for 61mbps

No matter what I get 18mbps UL everytime no matter which devices whether on 2.4 or 5ghz!

Did check my BT but seems it down and is asking for try again later after logging nothing is showing they must be doing maintenance or something not sure, but the above is the speeds poay 79.99DL / 20UL.

Out interest wifi loss should range from 10-30% loss, soo should get say 70% of speeds via wifi all being well?

Any comments/ advice would be much appreciate?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Personal experience, if the  cable between the SH2 and the ONT is not at least Cat 5E, it will sync at 100Mbps , not 1000Mbps. In my case I had a bad connection with my internal house/ethernet cabling, resulting in the same problem.

Nevertheless, this thread seems to have changed from being about expected FTTP speeds to wireless speeds on FTTC, so should be interpreted carefully by any readers.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

@converse420  The cable supplied with the hub  is CAT 5e. Personal expeirience does not create a general problem.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

@pippincp you will doubtlessly be aware of the Openreach FTTP guidance for developers here (Download the guide.)

Whilst not necessarily relevant for all scenarios, it does mean that we have to allow for these possibilities, (my install is a perfect example of a single bad connection in my building wiring, that reduced my speed From 1 Gbps to 100Mbps).

It's probably best not to assume that everyones installation relies on the  red and yellow cat5e cables in the box with the SH2.

Nevertheless as per my last post, our exchange remains off topic. I can link to other related posts with similar problems if it helps, I'm not trying to be difficult, just thorough.

0 Ratings