cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

PPoE issues

Hi, 

I am hoping that someone can suggested the source of an issue that I am experiencing.

I have FFTP and was running it with a Netgear router connected directly to the ONT using PPoE credentials, which worked without any hiccups.

I recently bought a Linksys Velop and connected it in the same manner, however the wifi was dropping out for 20-30 seconds every half an hour or so.

When I connect the Linksys to the BT HH on one of its ethernet ports, using DHCP on the Linksys it works perfectly. I would really like to remove the BT HH from the equation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some obscure setting that could be throwing a spanner in the works on the Linksys, something like the Keep Alive parameter? It is currently set to 30 seconds, but it appears that it cannot be set to less than 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: PPoE issues

Hi - sorry to resurface this a year later, but did you find a fix? I've just swapped to BT (last month) and have my Velop direct into my ONT and whilst I have signal on both Ethernet and Wifi, and pretty good speeds when it feels like it, I am getting that same 'lag' or pause for a while, especially when browsing or facebooking. It seems fine for streaming video and Teams calls though.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi, never resolved the issue, ended up replacing the Linksys with a Google Nest mesh system, which appears to be better.

Message 4 of 9

Ah... thats not very inspiring - I have 4 nodes to replace lol.

Do you have the Google Mesh plugged direct into the ONT? I guess I may have to look at that option.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Are you using the latest firmware for the Lynksys? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

So - I have auto update firmware on and in the app it claims I'm up to date, but just seen a thread that mentions needing to update via the web not app so I'm going to investigate. I'm also thinking to et up the actual smart hub (still wrapped up) and plug the Linksys into this, just to test that the Linksys is the issue - if I can remember how 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

The Google Mesh system is connected directly to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Yep - just checked online and I have the latest firmware 😞

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

So - I think I just fixed it (time will tell) but not sure which of these 4 things did fix it so may need to play:

I disabled both the IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls

I turned off 'filter anonymous internet requests'

I turned off 'filter ident (port 133)'

I then immediately got 5oom download speed and 400 on wifi (I have 500 fibre) and everything starter loading quickly without the issues I had to date - I'll play more and keep you updated

Thanks 

0 Ratings