cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Phone Only Discount

Go to solution

I have received an email today telling me I will get a back dated discount as I no longer have broadband. FTTP was installed by Openreach in January and my ISP is Zen internet. I still have a separate copper connection for phone hence the email.  Am I entitled to this discount or is it an error?

thanks in advance

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Phone Only Discount

Go to solution

@melindwr 

Sounds like a scam, as you still have pay line rental for the FTTP connection.  There are lots of scams going around, and they usually ask for bank details, so they can pay your "refund", when in fact, they empty your bank account.

As this is a BT Retail Customer Forum, you would need to ask your question on the Zen user forum. Do not supply any details to the sender of the email.

Zen Internet Support Forum - Forums

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

It's either a scam or an error as in any case you only get the discount if there's no broadband in the property with any supplier

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for quick response.  BT 150 are taking hours to answer atm as usual.

It is not a scam checked the mail headers and it's from BT. They are clearly unaware that Openreach has installed the fibre!!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@melindwr wrote:

Thanks for quick response.  BT 150 are taking hours to answer atm as usual.

It is not a scam checked the mail headers and it's from BT. They are clearly unaware that Openreach has installed the fibre!!

So how are you going to retain your phone line when the PSTN network closes, are Zen going to provide the equivalent to BT Digital Voice, as your copper connection will be ceased?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Copper will be with us here for some time I fear. In rural areas BTO will not put in new fibre until they have to.  I live in a small village in mid Wales 3.5km from the exchange. Out of  250 homes only 30 or 40 have the option of fibre and only available since January. There are currently no plans to install more fibre. Homes are too spread out for it to be cost effective.

Moble is not an alternative as 3G is a problem here!

I fear the phase out of PSTN will be like the the phase out of FM radio.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@melindwr wrote:

I fear the phase out of PSTN will be like the the fase out of FM radio.

more like the phase out of analogue TV took a while but it is no longer available unlike FM radio

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@melindwr 

You will have no option, its not the copper network that is closing, its the exchange equipment connected to it, so you will probably be advised to move your phone service over to Zen fibre.

This two page article explains it https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

When the time comes maybe. It is not a solution I like as I will no longer be able to report power cuts or broadband problems, since OR thoughtfully removed battery backup form their ONTs and I do not have a mobile phone signal at my home.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks to you all.  Will ring BT when I have the time to spare.

0 Ratings