cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Query about disconnecting Modem

I need to disconnect my Openreach modem, possibly for a few days as we will have a plasterer in and he will need to plaster behind this, is there any problem with this? Do I need to inform BT? I read somewhere about disconnecting in the Router console so it was an obvious disconnect but wanted to make sure this was the case?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Query about disconnecting Modem

No, you don't need to inform anybody. Just don't keep connecting and disconnecting or DLM will see it as a line fault.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Do you have FTTP and the modem is the openreach ONT?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Yes to both of queries. Was told by an engineer it couldn’t come off the wall after it was installed in February.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I assumed you were talking about an Openreach DSL modem rather than an ONT. Unless you are familiar with optical connectors, I recommend that you don't disconnect the ONT. You do so entirely at your own risk. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I hope it’s not an ONT, Mud Slingers and SC Optical Connectors don’t get on. 😆

Message 7 of 7

If you don't have any dust caps for the optical connector then it's probably best to disconnect the power and ethernet cable only from the ONT, pop it in a plastic bag and seal it by tying a cable tie/string around the end of the bag sealing it against the still connected fibre cable as the last thing you want is any plaster/dust/paint getting on the fibre connector. Be careful about how much strain is put on the cable when the ONT is off the wall. 

0 Ratings