cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

ROG STRIX GS-AX5400 - Third-Party Router Compatibility & Possible Modem Options?

Good Evening,

I'm currently looking for a third-party modem & router set-up to have access to QoS and have better control over the amount of bandwidth specific devices on my network has.

The router that I am interested in is the ASUS ROG STRIX GS-AX5400 

I'm just wondering if anybody can tell me whether or not this router is compatible, and what modem do you recommend pairing with this?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: ROG STRIX GS-AX5400 - Third-Party Router Compatibility & Possible Modem Options?

Router will be fine, modem depends on what broadband service you have. ADSL, FTTC, FTTP or G.Fast

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: ROG STRIX GS-AX5400 - Third-Party Router Compatibility & Possible Modem Options?

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I'm currently on BT's Fibre 2 and is FTTC I believe.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Then the Openreach Huawei HG612 from eBay would be suitable. Don't pay extra for an unlocked version, it's not necessary and is trivial to unlock in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

This is based around the the AX82U but the one you are looking for has WTFast Gamer VPN which is basically a third party service that may help reduce connection rates.

It also has the lights on the top board to make it look nice but it’s around £40 more for those 2 options.

I would also look at the Asus AX86U which supports Merlin and has the ability to support more than one QoS. It’s a tad more than both routers above and slightly better performance depending on client.  I believe Cake is supported but there’s no hardware acceleration so it’s not meant for 250 or above connections and this router has a better CPU to handle tasks without the downsides of lesser CPUs.

So the router you are looking at is based of the firmware for Asus only where the 82 and 86 have Merlin support but the 86 is a firm favourite of many because of its support.

0 Ratings