Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Re: 4 Port Modem

Go to solution

Hi All,

Apologies to continue this thread. 

I have actually same question, can I replace my single Port with 4 port ONT.

Bit Background: I am moving to new build house soon and BT has installed the FTTP to all the new homes in this area. Line is not activated yet and I will be the first user.

Builder has installed the internal LAN cables with sockets near the ONT as shown in picture. I am wondering if I can use 4 port ONT to join all the 4 LAN ports with this modem and use the internet throughout my home via LAN cables?

Suggestion please.

Thanks in advanceIMG_3234.jpeg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Go to solution

No, you can’t use the 4 Port ONT to connect your LAN Cables. That’s not what the 4 Port ONT was for.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

1. A four port modem is 4 optical ports not 4 LAN ports.

2. You can't change an ONT, the serial number is linked to an address.

3. Its the Home Hub (router) which will have 3 LAN ports that you connect to the patch panel, not the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I think I get it. I need to attach the router to ONT and then I can attach these LAN ports with router.

Thanks a lot for clarification.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Correct.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Just like this.

2018-11-30 19_19_34-Window.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks a lot.

I guess then in rooms I can use access points to increase the WiFi range with same SSID.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

You can, but personally I would give each access point a different SSID so you know which access point you are connecting to. Don't make the mistake of thinking that giving each access point the same SSID will give seamless roaming between them, it won't unless you have a true mesh system. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for pointing this out.

Is there any Mesh system which can use ethernet ports as input so I can attach them to upstairs and downstairs ethernet ports to make Wifi Mesh?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Mesh systems don't require an Ethernet connection to each access point, you connect the first one to either the hub, or if using a mesh system incorporating a router, to the ONT. The nodes then interconnect via wifi.

BT have the Whole Home system which still needs the Home hub but there are many to choose from that either incorporate a router or not.

Suggest you Google wifi mesh systems and see what is available and suits your needs.

0 Ratings